Autumn Border Plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My autumn/winter plug plants aren't coming on at all in my cold frame. Do they need a heated greenhouse to develop from plugs before planting out in my borders?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Surely heat will soften them and they will be less likely to survive outside later.

Did you fray out the roots before planting them? How long have they been out? What are they?

Surely heat will soften them and they will be less likely to survive outside later.

Did you fray out the roots before planting them? How long have they been out? What are they?

Pansie, Viola and Wallflower. I have made up a couple of baskets and left many more in small pots in my cold frame expecting them to develop before planting out. I've had them about 3 weeks now and was expecting a lot more from them. Just wondering whether the drop in weather temp has stalled their development.
I purchased spring/summer plugs from the same supplier which did rather well.

Sponsored Links
Pansie, Viola and Wallflower. I have made up a couple of baskets and left many more in small pots in my cold frame expecting them to develop before planting out. I've had them about 3 weeks now and was expecting a lot more from them. Just wondering whether the drop in weather temp has stalled their development.
I purchased spring/summer plugs from the same supplier which did rather well.
It's just down to the cold and lack of sunshine - not surprising this time of year! Pansies go dormant in the winter, which allows them to survive the cold. Pansies, violas and wallflowers come into their own in the Spring, growing well, spreading out and a ton of flowers. I think it's too optimistic to expect vibrant winter displays in this country, I've certainly never achieved it :)

Just a thought, your last few plants in small pots, I'd plant them into deeper soil to protect the roots from the winter frosts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back