Aux/usb sockets for Picanto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2015 1.0 model

My latest challenge is to fit Aux/usb sockets.

In the centre, next to the cigarette lighter, is a round blank in the panel and I'm thinking there'll be a connector plug behind the cover?

Presumably for a given car model, there's one harness and various wizardry gets plugged in depending on trim level.

Any KIA experts care to comment please?

Sponsored Links
Depending on your luck, I guess - of course you can fit an adaptor that plugs into the fag lighter / 12v outlet.
I have found though that all goes well for phone charging or whatever but when people try to plug in an MP3 player nothing happens......and by then I'm out of my depth anyway :mrgreen:
John :)

There's this device but I'm baffled as to how it works. When its installed in the dash panel, I can only presume the cables off the back plug into a modern radio.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
In my (limited) experience there will be very little "spare" wiring in a modern car (most optional upgrades are now fitted at the factory when the car is built rather than afterwards (dealer fit)).
For charging you could fit a usb socket charger (stepped down from 12v to 5v type) and power it off the cigar plug (same effect as one of the things that plugs into the cigar socket but neater). To get aux in to your stereo depends on the model - possible options are - a cable that plugs in the back of the stereo with a 3.5mm jack on the other end, and an ability to "enable" aux input via the stereo's menu, a need to get a main dealer to activate the input via their software, no aux option at all, adaptors that mimic a cd changer to provide an aux input, adaptors that "feed" an aux input in via other external inputs, a replacement head unit from a higher spec model, a replacement generic head unit, units that transmit your aux input via an FM signal that you tune your radio to etc, etc.

The thing on eBay is simply a "faceplate" which will extend any existing 3.5mm and usb cables to a fixed point.

There is little consistency between models and manufacturers so your best bet is a KIA forum if one exists. Mines a VW so there's a mountain of info on the web as owners seem to love customising them. But I still struggled upgrading it to DAB - eg the "DAB" aerial on the roof is a dummy, with no wires running to it unless you specified a DAB radio when you ordered the car new! I went to fit some speakers in the rear doors - no wiring there - tight gits!

Sponsored Links
I found this genuine KIA part and need to have a look at what wires lurk behind the panel before I do anything.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I've got KIA part number 96120 1Y100EQ of ebay. I took the centre panel out and there is a vacant plug that looks to be the exact fit for the socket on the part I've ordered.

Back