Av receiver trigger out to control fans help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Yamaha rxa3050 av receiver and I am looking to control some 12v fans for cooling the av unit but am at a loss on how to do it, so anyone any ideas, making my own or buying ready built ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The 12V out will be low current, so you'll use that to trigger a relay that with the switch on a 240 volt supply. The supply is what will power the fans.

Here's a couple of thought though.

Unless the Trigger settings are sophisticated enough to work even when the amp id in standby, then the fans won't will be available to cool the amp after it has been switched off. That means that residual heat could sit with no air flow to remove it after the amp has entered standby. This heat may gently cook the capacitors. If heat is so much of a problem that you have to go to these lengths to get rid of it then you also have to consider residual heat build up and dissipation too. I would ditch the idea of a trigger operated relay, and go for a simple thermostically controlled solution instead. That way it will run whenever the amp needs to be cooled rather than when the amp is on.

However, more fundamentally, why is the amp getting so hot that it needs additional cooling? I think this is where you should start. Fix the cause first rather than just treating the symptoms.

Thanks for that it sits in an av unit with a blue ray player Apple TV and freeview box, at the moment I leave the front door open and all is fine, but wanted to get a couple of low powered fans to provide an air current to shift the warm air out. I was looking at thermostat controlled fans

Sponsored Links
He's looking at the 240 controlling the 12v fans?
I'd just run the whole lot of a 13A extension board and include 240-12v supply, switching the whole lot on/off.
The fans could have a thermostat so they only come on when it gets hot
A big fan running slowly is quieter than a small one flat out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back