Avoiding air locks in boiler when draining and refilling sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The engineer who came round to service my boiler added some system cleaner and instructed me to run the boiler every other day for a couple of weeks before draining down and refilling.

The below is the process that I aim to follow:
1) Isolate boiler (electrics)
2) Attach hose to drainage point on radiator and begin to drain
3) Open bleed valve on towel rail to assist draining (close when draining finished)
4) Clean off any debris attached to Magnaclean
5) Re-fill system to dilute old chemicals (in water left in pipes below floor) and drain off again
6) Add inhibitor into Magnaclean
7) Re-fill to 1.5 bar and start bleeding radiators (lowest to highest) - pressure will reduce down again
8) Add mains water again to around 1.2 bar
9) Switch boiler back on and run CH to get inhibitor throughout system.

My biggest concern is getting air trapped in the boiler and causing damage when running the CH for the first time. The manual says there is a dust cap/air vent in the boiler but I suppose there is a chance that this won't do its job properly? Am I better off removing the front cover of the boiler and unscrewing this slightly to ensure no air in there?

Boiler is Ideal Independent C24.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back