Air lock in combi system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an LPG combi boiler with a sealed radiator system.

On the advice of a plumber who recently serviced the boiler, I drained the system, flushed with cleaner, flushed again and refilled with inhibitor. While doing this I had a problem with 3 radiators at the front of the house not draining.

On chasing the pipework I found these radiators are served by pipes that go up to the loft at the back of the house (where the boiler and system drain is), go through the loft and then back down at the front of the house. This creates a high loop in the attic. I worked around it at the time by draining from the bottom of a radiator and made a mental note that changes would be needed in the future.

What I would like to know is the best way to change things. A drain below one of the front radiators is obviously needed but what about bleeding air from the loop in the attic? I have bled the radiators and that seems to have worked but is there a chance that air is still in the pipework through the attic or will any air be pushed through to the rads?

Sponsored Links
The pipe work in the attic should rise slightly to a high point where air bottles need to be fitted with either Auto or manual vents
it is possible to pull the air down to the rads, but the success of this cannot be guaranteed ;)

The pipe work in the attic should rise slightly to a high point where air bottles need to be fitted with either Auto or manual vents
it is possible to pull the air down to the rads, but the success of this cannot be guaranteed ;)

Given this is in a well insulated loft space and the insulation is currently laid over the top of the pipes, would an auto or manual venting system be best and is covering the vent in wool insulation enough to prevent freezing?

Thanks
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back