possible air in pipes - combi boiler in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Looking for some advice please.

I have installed a new pump in my boiler,

I first added some cleaner, let it run for 3 days, drained the system, installed pump, added inhibitor and refilled / vented. (the filling loop is in the attic)

All the radiators heat up fine and i have bled all the rads and pump.

When the pump is running i get an intermediate ticking noise (sounds like its coming from under a floor upstairs). I have tried the pump speed on 1, 2 and 3 with no difference, also tried with the boiler temperature on the lowest setting.

Was wondering if it was possible if air was trapped between the radiators and boiler. The combi boiler is in the attic and not sure if there was a particular way to fill / vent this setup.

I don't think its expansion in the pipes as this has never been an issue before.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
If rads and pump are fully bled ( did you leave the aav open on the pump ?), its unlikely that system has air in it. More likely heat / expansion of pipes against timber is causing the ticking sounds.

Without hearing the sound it’s hard to advise. Could be expansion or could be a foreign object dislodged during the work, that’s now tumbling around at a bottleneck!

The combi boiler is in the attic and not sure if there was a particular way to fill / vent this setup

There should be an air vent at the highest point of the system. If the flow and return pipes enter the bottom of the boiler then there should be a vent on the boiler. If the pipe enter the boiler at the top then there should be an air vent in either flow or return ( or preferable both ).

Too often an instalation relies on entrapped air being carried round to a radiator where it can collect in the top of the radiator until the radiator is bled.

Sponsored Links
Too often an instalation relies on entrapped air being carried round to a radiator where it can collect in the top of the radiator until the radiator is bled.

How can you make that claim?
I happen to agree with you but then I see dozens of installations a week.
We always put bleed points at the top of a new system and if removing an old F&E tank and using the rising main as a filling loop point to the existing feed, we utilise the old vent to fit a Tom Thumb or lever valve for venting.

I have a couple of friends who as plumbers find systems like that.
have they ever found an installation like the this set up-
linear manifold_1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back