Combi in the Attic

never mind the residual heat justs heats the loft..., or the sky..

put a boiler on the ground floor in the habitable space of the building and the heat is used,,

Sponsored Links
When I was doing my work experience, we done some work on a boiler fitted in the loft, if anything it was much easier to work on than one fitted in a kitchen or bathroom cupboard because there was a lot of room left around the boiler but then not all installs will be the same.

never mind the residual heat justs heats the loft..., or the sky..

put a boiler on the ground floor in the habitable space of the building and the heat is used,,

Bugger all heat is generated by a modern condensing boiler for it to be considered a space heater for this to be an issue

When I was doing my work experience, we done some work on a boiler fitted in the loft, if anything it was much easier to work on than one fitted in a kitchen or bathroom cupboard because there was a lot of room left around the boiler but then not all installs will be the same.

Another advantage, is when you're in the loft doing anything to it, you don't have the customer hovering over you. Not normally, anyhow.

Sponsored Links
alec. how is service/repair, any more of a problem in a loft than say an old airing cupboard second floor. if it leaks in both situations. and causing a mess your not controlling it . been to many of boilers in lofts. i dont tend to let water **** out all over the place. without catching it. as mentioned secondary filling loop and gauge downstairs helps most situations. heating the loft ?? your off your tits..........putting a boiler up in the loft soon. due to the fact. 1 the vertical flue length is shorter. 2 condense and blowoff pipe is easier to route. 4 more room in the kitchen.

Putting boilers in lofts is plain stupid if you ask me.
1. Get a steam issue or even just a leak up there and you've flooded two floors of a normal house
2. Safety. I've fell out of a loft, but only fell off a floor when I was drunk.
2a I charge more for working in lofts that are not properly lit and boarded out or where access is difficult
3. Ever broken a leg or found you have arthritis or other ailment which stops you from climbing? This happens and when people get old or infirm or are just unlucky. They can't use the controls when they're restricted to one floor. I know this after suffering badly from RA for 3 years!
4. More prone to frost. Yes they have frost protection but does every bit of pipe up there have the same protection if there's no trace heating. What about a draught that just affects one part of the pipework? What about when a bit of insulation gets knocked off or lost ?
5.Ever tried inspecting a flue when its on a roof? Damn sight easier when you just have to climb a few steps when it's going through a kitchen wall!

More and more I am coming across situations where the above issues were not properly dealt with. Think about the situation in the future, not just the way it is now.

And a combi lets out more water than a couple of 25 gallon tanks and a central heatinng header tank .
What steam issues will you get from a combi? and how many safety devices would have to fail first ?
Prone to frost yep but have you never heard of pipe lagging and then added protction of rockwool.

How many boilers can you walk straight upto and work on them without using steps or laying twisted on the floor very few i would say loft is no different fom anywhere else in a house

Number 2 makes me laugh :)

Falling out the loft has never been a concern for me, just avoid the big rectangular hole in the floor where the hatch is ;)

And a combi lets out more water than a couple of 25 gallon tanks and a central heatinng header tank .
Yes when the leak is on a mains or DHW pipe
What steam issues will you get from a combi? and how many safety devices would have to fail first ?
Point is they do and it has happened. get yourself on a Ravenheat course and ask JW about when he was asked to investigate a steam issue in a loft
Prone to frost yep but have you never heard of pipe lagging and then added protection of rockwool.
Yes and how many times do you go in a loft and see that it has been moved for example by a sparky putting spotlights in? They don't care if they expose some of our precious pipework
How many boilers can you walk straight up to and work on them without using steps or laying twisted on the floor very few i would say loft is no different from anywhere else in a house
I can walk up to and work on any boiler that I have fitted! I get these issues sorted before the boiler goes on the wall. I don't fit them in silly places. Unfortunately most of those that involve crawling about on the floor are fitted in lofts!

I'm not saying 'don't ever fit a boiler in a loft' more like 'last resort and here's why'.

Number 2 makes me laugh :)

Falling out the loft has never been a concern for me, just avoid the big rectangular hole in the floor where the hatch is ;)

:LOL: There goes a man who has never put his foot through a ceiling.:rolleyes: Don't worry m8 it will happen one day.... Probably when you're working on a boiler in a loft
:unsure:

Yes you're right. I've never put my foot through the ceiling, despite working on regularly and installing many boilers in lofts myself. Boarded or not boarded I just take care! Maybe all the steam coming from your boilers could be weakening the ceilings?? Just a thought ;)

i would love to see these houses were every single boiler can be fitted exactly in front of you unfortunately with so many different house styles and positions of existing boilers and services these are not in the majority unless your only fitting a few boilers a year.

Ravenheeps oh sorry i thought we were talking combis that work. I dont lower myself to install or even work on them

i would love to see these houses were every single boiler can be fitted exactly in front of you unfortunately with so many different house styles and positions of existing boilers and services these are not in the majority unless your only fitting a few boilers a year.
Ravenheeps oh sorry i thought we were talking combis that work. I dont lower myself to install or even work on them

True I don't fit many boilers. I do however spend a lot of time fixing Ravenheats that no one else will touch.

as said it can be done... but everything has to be trawled through the house, taken probably up a ladder, increasing the work load by a margin...

if you have an alternate location get a quote for both...you may be lucky and some people may not mind...but they may not be about when the magna clean starts leaking!

thats not to say that people who do put boilers in lofts will disappear, but the drama can be any time after the install...

So in other words, you'd rather fit it somewhere that makes the job easier for you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back