attic conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of converting my attic. Space for two bedrooms and a bathroom (bath, shower over, toilet and wash basin) plus a landing area. Ignoring the attic, we already have 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (both with showers) and an ensuite (shower and basin only). Considering what to do with attic heating and hotwater. Currently have an unvented megaflow 210l hot water cylinder and two boilers in parallel running the system in the rest of the house.

I thought initially about a separate combi running the attic water and heating but not keen on the pathetic hot water from a combi (used to have one in previous property - valliant supposedly pretty good but broke down a couple of times and bath took forever to fill etc). Just recently thought about two unvented cylinders in parallel but no room to do this next to each other. Could one be above the other in the attic? How far apart can they be? Is this sensible? Any other ideas to avoid the combi water issue?

Sponsored Links
Unventeds can be anywhere.

Vaillants break down just like any other make.

I am left wondering just how many people you have living in your house with so many rooms/bathrooms.

When I was small there was a Catholic family nearby with 10 children and they lived in a three bedroom house.

Tony

bobh wrote

Any other ideas to avoid the combi water issue?

Thats not the only issue. :(
How does your mains flowrate cope with your current set up of 2 bathrooms and ensuite plus not to mention your kitchen and utility area ?.
Can you fill two baths simultaneously while someone is showering in the ensuite at the same time ?.
What type of showers do you have ?

All the showers are/ will be thermostatic mixers. Have just tried running both baths and using the shower all at the same time. Plenty of water coming out of all. Mains pressure is very good here.

If a further unvented cylinder will work, how will it be controlled? Is it possible to turn it off even with the other on? If both tanks are on will all appliances draw from both tanks. If only one tank is on could all the baths etc just draw from one tank?

Regards

Bob

Sponsored Links
I can give you two choices. Others may have better ideas.

1 - Replace the existing cylinder with a 300 /L model.

2- Raise the hot water storage temperature on the existing cylinder and have a TMV to blend the temperature down.
ACV supply this set up with their UV,s as standard.
This wil extend the HW supply. :D
If your in a hard water area though this may not be a good idea. :(

How do you find the system coping for your requirements at the moment. ?

System copes ok at the moment but kids are young and they share a bath!

May be different when they are teenagers and we have a house full. Its a big house and reason for attic is to accommodate grandparents in fullness of time.

Not too keen on replacing cylinder as only changed to current system less than a year ago. No foresight there then! Also not really enough room in current cupboard in bedroom for a larger tank.

In laws unlikely to turn up for a couple of years full time so seems a waste to heat 300 litres all the time for the period when it wont be required. Hence question about how independent an additional tank would be. Is there a fundamental problem with two cylinders?

bobh wrote

Its a big house and reason for attic is to accommodate grandparents in fullness of time.

Not something I would envisage for my grandparents. You should have a rethink here if I may say so. Unless your home has a mechanical lift installed which gives direct access to the attic.

Not too keen on replacing cylinder as only changed to current system less than a year ago

Its a much easier option than fitting a second one.
Most good reputable plumbers should be able to give you a part exchange deal on a new one.

Also not really enough room in current cupboard in bedroom for a larger tank.

The diameter can stay the same. The only difference will be height which you should have.

In laws unlikely to turn up for a couple of years full time so seems a waste to heat 300 litres all the time

You can opt for a twin coil version and only heat the top section when demand is low and heat the lower section when demand is high.
Megaflow actually recommend the CL250 for a three bathroom and shower 4/5 bedroom property.

Personally I would beef up the storage temp on your existing cylinder. (assuming your in a soft water area)
Just get a plumber in to fit a quality failsafe TMV and the necessary attic retrofit pipework alterations explaining that a cylinder replacement might be needed at some time in the future.
You can have the stat turned down in the mean time until your new visitors arrive.
Then he fits the pipework in such a manner to suit the possibility of a new cylinder (with minimum alterations later) and the TMV will be compatible with the new cylinder and keep the water at a safe temperature for your kids and grandparents which is VERY important.

Is there a fundamental problem with two cylinders?

None at all. But it will cost you.£££££ for no extra benefit.

If the attic is not to be occupied much for at least two years then why not just connect HW outlets to the existing cylinder for the time being.

Tony

One option would certainly be another unvented in the attic just serving taps up there. Could be electric-only heated if it saves installation cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back