Power Shower Over bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm fitting a power shower over my bath. I am also fitting a 50 gallon header tank in the attic. My query is, would I be able to fit the pump in the airing cupboard, below the hot water cylinder, and then return the both pipes, cold dropped from header tank, up into the attic and across to the bathroom? I can then drop the pipes down the bathroom wall to the shower unit. My header tank is raised about 300mm above the attic floor.

I thought of putting the pump in the attic, but there may be a problem with unequal pressure, as the hot water pipe will have to rise from the cylinder.

Any suggestions, please,

Thanks,

Poet.

Sponsored Links
i prefer the pump next to the cylinder.

300mm height willbe ok on some pumps salamander require 600mm.
or opt for a neg head pump.

Hi Poet

The ideal place for the pump is at the base of the hot water cylinder to push rather than pull the water. If fitted in the loft the pump is prone to air and cavitation problems that could damage the pump.

The pipes can go across the loft with no problems if they are level with or below the base of the cold water storage tank with a maximum pipe run at around 12 metre on each supply.

To avoid noise, clip the pipes well and lag all pipework.

Good luck

Bill

Sponsored Links
Hi Poet

The ideal place for the pump is at the base of the hot water cylinder to push rather than pull the water. If fitted in the loft the pump is prone to air and cavitation problems that could damage the pump.

The pipes can go across the loft with no problems if they are level with or below the base of the cold water storage tank with a maximum pipe run at around 12 metre on each supply.

To avoid noise, clip the pipes well and lag all pipework.

Good luck

Bill

Thanks Bill,
I see your logic of better to push than pull, it's the same principle I used on my heating system.
Thanks again,

Poet

I've been thinking a good place would be in the space under the head of the bath. Handy for the pipes. Is this a bad idea?

I've been thinking a good place would be in the space under the head of the bath. Handy for the pipes. Is this a bad idea?

No, it's not a bad idea, but because of awkward pipe runs, I need to run my pipes up from the pump in the airing cupboard and through the attic. Otherwise, under the head of the bath would be ideal.

Thanks again John,

Poet

That will put many pumps in a potential negative head sitiation & you may well have problems unless you use a negative head pump; it, depends on the pump you use.

This is acurate & good advice.
300mm height will be ok on some pumps salamander require 600mm. or opt for a neg head pump.

In addition, if you fit up & over pipe runs, vent the loops at the highest point or air will build up & the pump will eventually air lock. Such loops will effectively reduce the head to the distance between the bottom of the cws tank & the pipes regardless of where the pump is fitted. If you fit the pump in the loft it must be below the bottom of the cws tank & if it's less than the manufactureers specified head, fit their equivalent negative head unit or in all probablility it won't work very well.

Always fit the pump as close to the HW cylinder as possible preferably at the bottom. Always use 22mm for the feed pipes & preferable 22mm right up to the mixer valve. Only fit full bore gas spec. lever ball shut off valves not the cheapo ones or gate valves as they restrict the flow.

That will put many pumps in a potential negative head sitiation & you may well have problems unless you use a negative head pump; it, depends on the pump you use.

This is acurate & good advice.
300mm height will be ok on some pumps salamander require 600mm. or opt for a neg head pump.

In addition, if you fit up & over pipe runs, vent the loops at the highest point or air will build up & the pump will eventually air lock. Such loops will effectively reduce the head to the distance between the bottom of the cws tank & the pipes regardless of where the pump is fitted. If you fit the pump in the loft it must be below the bottom of the cws tank & if it's less than the manufactureers specified head, fit their equivalent negative head unit or in all probablility it won't work very well.

Always fit the pump as close to the HW cylinder as possible preferably at the bottom. Always use 22mm for the feed pipes & preferable 22mm right up to the mixer valve. Only fit full bore gas spec. lever ball shut off valves not the cheapo ones or gate valves as they restrict the flow.

You've given me a lot to think about Brian, I am able to raise the header tank up to 400mm above the attic floor. My pump recommends
a minimum head of 150mm. Even so, it might be better fitting a
negative head pump; it should elevate any problems my system might
have. Better to be safe than sorry. I appreciate everybody's input; it's helpful to have other peoples thoughts and experience.

Thanks Brian,

Poet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back