Cold radiator in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, winters just around the corner and the attic in which I spend hours studying is getting colder.The radiators in all other rooms and floors of the house work fine and dandy but the radiator in the attic remains luke warm.I've tried bleeding it - sadly to no avail.The central heating is new (ie. put in 3 years ago) and its a combi boiler. Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how it might be solved would be most gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
unclemonty said:
I've tried bleeding it - sadly to no avail.

What do you mean. No air comes out, no water comes out?

I assume this the highest radiator then.

What floors the boiler on in relation to this radiator.

What does the pressure gauge on the boiler read?

ONE (OR MORE) RADIATORS NOT WORKING

Try these checkpoints

1) First check that the lockshield valve is fully open and the trv (if fitted) is not stuck.

2) Turn off all the other rads to force the flow into the cold one(s)

3) Bleed all rads especially offending one

4) Balance your system (details above)

5) Take off the rad and flush out

6) With the rad off, open both valves(one at a time) to get rid of an airlock and to ensure a healthy flow into a bucket.

7) Is the rad a new installation as part of an extension etc?. Look at how it has been piped up. Better flow is achieved when it is fed straight off the flow and return.

:D

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your rapid replies, I'm going to try out your suggestions this weekend - apologies for not giving you the whole picture, the boiler is a RIVA PLUS M90D.24S. When on the pressure reading is 0.9bar, and the offending radiator is on the 3rd floor, the boiler is in the basement. When I bleed the aforementioned radiator I get a little squek of air for a couple of seconds followed by nothing coming out ie. no sound of air escaping and no water - hope thats a bit more illuminating. Just a couple of questions, where would I find the lockshield valve and the trv?

Once again many thanks for your suggestions

UM

Try increasing the pressure to 1.5 Bar.

Each floor will decrease the pressure by about 0.3Bar, so as it is in the basement I suspect you have no pressure on the 3rd floor to fill the rad with water.

If no water comes out the problem may be either blocked pipe leading to radiator or valves on radiator, (lockshield and TRV), shut or stuck respectively.

Lockshield is one cannot be turned withot removing cap to expose the square spindle top.
TRV is the thermostatic adjustable valve you shouldn have at the other bend nof radiator.

It might sound like a bit of a bone question but how to I go about increasing the pressure, would a low pressure account for the fact that the radiator only gets luke warm?

Should be a filling loop under the boiler usually. A silver braided hose about 12" long with a tap at each end.

Just had a look for the pipe can't see one, there are a couple of taps there though connected to pipes that go to the boiler one yellow and one red if thats of any help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back