AVOIDING UNDERGROUND UTILITIES when doing fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know u look for paint marks to see if a pipe is running towards your hole (for example fence posts)from pavement. In top photo my hole is 500mm to left of sewer pipe line

Is 500mm to left or right of sewer pipe line ok to dig?

Anything else to look for where pipes are located?

I put two of my posts either side of water meters[

I dont want to drill through pipes.

20200505_200527.jpg
20200505_200603.jpg
20200505_173236.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I know u look for paint Marks to see of a pipe is running towards your hole from pavement. In top photo my home I'd 500mm to left of sewer pipe line Is 500mm to left or right of sewer pipe line ok to dig?

Anything else to look for where pipes are located?

Don't understand any of that,damaging drill? and if something is running towards your hole i would run faster.

Is that wet patch on the pavement caused by the dodgy builder mentioned in the building forum ;)

Sponsored Links
Don't understand any of that,damaging drill? and if something is running towards your hole i would run faster.
Just corrected typos. Basically where not to drill or dig to not damage pipes. What to look for

Sorry not damage drills . I mean pipes in title

Last edited:
Basically where not to drill or dig to not damage pipes.

Hard to tell, even the utility companies won't guarantee where things are. I would dig - just go easy and keep checking, especially next to a pavement.

Hard to tell, even the utility companies won't guarantee where things are. I would dig - just go easy and keep checking, especially next to a pavement.
Sure, but strong indicators signs of pipes would be?

But strong indicators?

Manhole covers, water meter covers, old asphalt tracks etc. It really doesn't get you anywhere though, who knows what is buried and unknown next to a pavement.

Dig slowly and double check as you go.

Has someone hired you?

Just tell them to come on here and we can cut out the middle man and just help them.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

Look or ask the property owner where the services are in the property. Sewers run in fairly staight lines between manholes. Mains water and electric cables are not so easy. For the water meter, you can look under the cover to see which way the pipe is running.
Seems you have the lot here - a telegraph pole and a lampost as well as the normal stuff.

Look or ask the property owner where the services are in the property. Sewers run in fairly staight lines between manholes. Mains water and electric cables are not so easy. For the water meter, you can look under the cover to see which way the pipe is running.
Seems you have the lot here - a telegraph pole and a lampost as well as the normal stuff.
I was going to put a post right next to the telegraph pole (theres walls foundations) next to it and very near a lamppost. Surely there are no pipes or wires in the garden near these two places?

I guess leave the breaker if possible and go slowly with metal pole or spade

U can see the posts avoid the ends of the new tarmac on the right but not on left.
158937118607893375673507776778.jpg

I'm sorry but no one here can possibly tell you where to dig. Put the posts where you think and just be careful, dig slowly and carefully especially close to a pavement, telegraph pole and lamp post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back