Awful quality radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New house built by Barrats 6 years ago. The overall built quality isn't that good. But the central heating system is worse of all.

The latest problem is with the radiators, which are simply awful. Very difficult to tighten the bleeding valve and a few of them have actually snapped.

Now I am looking at changing those snapped valve. But then I found that there is valve only but no plug which I can replace. Does it mean I need to replace the whole radiator just because of the valve. Then the radiators are of odd size! 53cm, and 95cm and 74cm wide. That's imperial size but it seems that I need to go to specialize shop to buy that. But are those going to be of the same cr*p quality as well?

It seems that for the development to save may be 50p per radiators, I need to shell out hundreds of pounds to make good of them. :mad:

Sponsored Links
Some of the worst plumbing I have seen has been on fairly new houses... all done for speed and on a tight budget... they don't give a s**t for anyone who might want to do anything at a later date. The house holder won't know the name of the bloke who installed it! New rads might only be the option, unless like me I keep all the bleed screws from any radiator I remove, cos they may come in use one day...

Why dont you drill out the snapped screw and re-tap the thread. Remove the radiator first though and make sure you give it a god flush through with a hose afterwards to remove any debris. :idea:

Stab in the dark, I reckon the rads are Myson Premier HE. Available from PlumbCentre. The sizes in your post are same. Worth trying to tap out old nips if you can get replacements.

Sponsored Links
Anyone doing that has to do it VERY carefully to avoid damaging the taper valve seat !

It needs very careful drilling out and then a plug tap!

Alternatively you can drill through and then put PTFE tape on the bleed screw as a bodge repair.

Tony

photo of radiator/air valve would be helpfull,there could be a couple of options available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back