Awkward cinder block wall & fence post holder repair.

DTT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've an awkward repair job to attempt:

Old metal fence post holders sitting on top of a cinder block wall which had been secured via rawl bolts have rusted away & require replacing.

The cinder blocks are about 4 inches wide but the holes that were drilled for the rawl bolts to keep the fence post holders in place are very close to the outside edges of the blocks & the original drilling, combined with the removal of the old rusted bolts has damaged the blocks (the latter could not be helped due to the poor condition around the drilled holes). Of the two blocks each with four holes drilled in them for the rawl bolts six of the drilled holes have partially crumbled to nothing & there's no block left on what is now the outside facing part of the block. However, the rest of the blocks to which the posts had been secured are in fine condition & aren't at risk of further disintegrating.

Can I fill the original drilled holes flush with the damaged cinder blocks & drill new holes in these fills so as to secure the new fence post holders (the job requires the replacement fence post holders to sit as close to the old ones as possible so as to reuse the original fence panels) or will the combination of drilling & post holder/post/fence panels load & stress on the new bolts (& it's Thunderbolts I'll be using to secure the post holders) & filled repair of the blocks mean it's just not possible & the blocks need replacing in their entirety?

Also due to the slight difference in the size of the fence post holders I've been able to get compared to the old ones (the old ones no longer being available) the new holes will not be directly in the same place on the blocks as the old, most will be overlapping with any fill & what's left of the block around them. I know this compounds the issue of ensuring the long term stability & security of the repair but is there any way I can do this job without having to remove & replace the damaged cinder blocks - perhaps by drilling pilot holes & gradually moving up through bit sizes until I reach the max size for the Thunderbolts - or is the replacement of the blocks & entirely new holes drilled in them the only option?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Replace the blocks

You would be attempting to fresh bolts into damaged blocks and any sort of wind loading would probably damage them further to the point of failure and you would get blamed for it.

I'm frankly amazed these fence posts/panels have survived so long as to have rusted sat on top on cinder blocks , they should of blown over by now!

Replace the blocks

You would be attempting to fresh bolts into damaged blocks and any sort of wind loading would probably damage them further to the point of failure and you would get blamed for it.

I'm frankly amazed these fence posts/panels have survived so long as to have rusted sat on top on cinder blocks , they should of blown over by now!

Yes, I'm resigned to having to replace the blocks there's no way they can be repaired sufficiently for the required job, thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
An update, in the end no bricks were removed as the new fence post supports had a single hole drilled in the base through which a single 6" ThunderBolt was screwed into a new hole in the cinder block, the new hole in the cinder block wasn't at all close to the repaired holes where the previous bolts sat & the supports have been secured effectively...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back