b and q french door sets, fitting advice please

D

diane1

hi, has anyone ever fitted a b and q french door set??

do you fit it all as one or do you take the doors off, have read on here that you should screw the cill onto the frame before fitting, is that right, although b and q only had door cills in 1m lengths, are you supposed to stick 2 together or something??

cheers, diane :confused:

Sponsored Links
Diane 1.
Sorry to be so blunt but it's obvious from the questions your posting that you don’t have a clue what your doing; neither do you seem to be following earlier advice. I fear you may well be creating future problems for yourself unless you get help from a competent fitter let alone complying with current regulations.

thanks for advice!

mind you if it wasnt for the thousands of idiots like me,
band q would go out of business!!

have a nice day!
;)

diane

I'm afraid I don't know much about french doors and I haven't read all of your earlier posts.

However, if you have a B & Q warehouse, they usually have lots of chaps around the shop who can give advice on such things. It's a bit hit and miss and I'm leaving myself open to all sorts of comments, but I have found that the older chaps are the best as they've often worked in building trades and just want a few P/T hours to keep the brain going in retirement.

Another idea is the Wickes project leaflets which are a mine of useful info and I believe they are on the web now. I think some of these sheds have forums too.

But, you do have to be careful you comply with building regs etc as Richard says. Maybe the hardest part of DIY is knowing when not to!

Best of luck

Sponsored Links
Just to update u, b and q french door set installed and looks great, only took a few hours and was all cleaned up in a day.
i should have opened up the packaging before panicing and asking questions as there were very good clear instructions included....with pictures!!!

never be afraid to have a go!! ;)

diane

diane1 said:
Just to update u, b and q french door set installed and looks great, only took a few hours and was all cleaned up in a day.
i should have opened up the packaging before panicing and asking questions as there were very good clear instructions included....with pictures!!!

never be afraid to have a go!! ;)

diane
Glad it went well & they look nice; what have you done about getting your certificate of compliance with building regulations!

;) what new doors???
no seriously, im not planning on moving for a long long time and as the were replacements for doors that were already there, im figuring, why bother.
i know u are probably going to give me a lecture now, but lifes too short and councils are too greedy.

have fun
diane :D

diane1 said:
;) what new doors???
no seriously, im not planning on moving for a long long time and as the were replacements for doors that were already there, im figuring, why bother.
i know u are probably going to give me a lecture now, but lifes too short and councils are too greedy.

have fun
diane :D

I've no intention of lecturing you; personally I don't give a flying fig, just making sure you’re aware of the beurocracy we now have to live with. It doesn't make any difference if they were replacements for doors already there; with few exceptions, not only must new/replacement doors/windows comply with current regs. (which your undoubtedly will), you also have to have a bit of paper that says that they do & that they were correctly installed.

As you’ve already realised, it probably won't matter until you try & sell as that's the only time your likely to get found out; unless someone shops you! Most new windows also have a date stamp or code on them so it’s easily established when they were made & only a dim witted surveyor won’t pick it up. If it’s suspected they are replacements, the onus is on you to provide evidence of when they were fitted; it’s unlikely that any buyers solicitor will accept some date 10 years ago you just dream up. This will become even more important once the new HIPs (home information pack) requirements start to bite & an awful lot of people are going to get caught out, with the possibility of being unable to sell until they get it sorted; enjoy your doors!

to be honest, i couldnt give 2 hoots.......my house is in a subsidence area anyway, its almost impossible to sell as it is, so im not worried.

cheers 4 advice
diane :cool:

diane1 said:
to be honest, i couldnt give 2 hoots.......my house is in a subsidence area anyway, its almost impossible to sell as it is, so im not worried.

cheers 4 advice
diane :cool:
Well that puts a slightly different slant on things; enjoy :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back