Upvc French doors fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I picked up a set of French doors from marketplace to fit in my home build shed. I had to reduce the height so I cut down and removed the top fixed window section.
I fitted the doors last weekend and they need some adjustment as they will only close if both doors are closed together. If I close the slave and then the locking door, the middle section of the locking door about 6 inches is catching on the slave door.
Would making the hinge adjustments get the middle to line up? To me it feels like the centre of the doors needs to be pulled towards the door frame.
The doors will be fitted again this weekend as I have larger screw heads for fitting, the others were not really gripping.
The doors were originally opening inwards but I have removed the cill so they fit and so they can open outwards.
Many thanks
IMG_2459.jpeg
IMG_2460.jpeg
IMG_2461.jpeg
IMG_2462.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Not my area but.
Normally they fit without glass.
Pack and bend until all lined up and screw fasten frame, then fit glass..

I guess you will have to do it with glass in doors but it's heavy

Not my area but.
Normally they fit without glass.
Pack and bend until all lined up and screw fasten frame, then fit glass..

I guess you will have to do it with glass in doors but it's heavy
That makes sense without the glass as they are flipping heavy! I put the frame in and my son hanged the doors on.
I have been out to look at them again and the door panels are wider in the centre section by a few mm compared to the top and base.
They were stored on their side at the previous house so I guess the weight has made the Upvc door frame sag. I have clamped them up to see if that helps, maybe some sun and they will go back to normal?
Fingers crossed as I won’t be popular asking for the doors to be taken off!

Sponsored Links
Look up how to toe and heel a door also

You say they were open in and you've turned them around... what have you done about the built in drainage? A upvc frame is cellular and the outer section is for drainage , you should really block all drain holes up internally( I hope it was face drain and not base drain onto the old.cill ... ) and drill new holes on the outside but make sure you only go into the first 'cell '

Look up how to toe and heel a door also

You say they were open in and you've turned them around... what have you done about the built in drainage? A upvc frame is cellular and the outer section is for drainage , you should really block all drain holes up internally( I hope it was face drain and not base drain onto the old.cill ... ) and drill new holes on the outside but make sure you only go into the first 'cell '
I have refitted the frame today and the doors have been put back on. The middle section of the door panels are still out by 4 or 6 mm. One door is out more than the other.
I will try the toe and heel.
Yes I have closed up the drainage and added new ones, that was the easiest job!

It might make sense to get replacement handles so the screws are on the inside? Someone up to no good might be tempted to take the outside handle off, thus exposing more of the cylinder to 'muck about' with ...

It might make sense to get replacement handles so the screws are on the inside? Someone up to no good might be tempted to take the outside handle off, thus exposing more of the cylinder to 'muck about' with ...
Might just be able to turn them round

It’s really safe here in Guernsey, very little theft here apart from pushbikes left out in a Saturday night!
The last shed door didn’t even have a lock :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back