[b]Central Heating Installation problem - Request for advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About one year ago I had my old Myson combination boiler replaced with a new Potterton Performa 24.

Since installation we have had to call the Firm that supplied and installed it back on four occasions due to the noises that we are getting in the pipes and radiators.

These tend to start after the heating has been on for a while and especially if all the radiator thermostats are not full on. After starting with a low 'whirring' sound it changes firstly to a similar sound as an engine ticking over and then to a severe banging or knocking.

The only way that we are able to stop it is after making sure that all the radiator thermostats are turned up fully and if that is already the case to turn one, or more, of them back slightly.

This rectifies the problem for a while and then the noises start again and we have to reverse the procedure and this is the case until we finally get fed up and turn the heating off at the boiler.

On each visit the engineer sent inspected the boiler, then took a quick look at a couple of radiators, and advised us that it was probably ‘teething problems’ associated with a new boiler installation and further advised regular bleeding of the radiators.

Last month I contacted them again by telephone because the noises/knocking seemed worse than ever. I was put through to an Engineer who after asking me if the radiators had been bled and I confirmed that they had, asked me to check the pressure, which was ok, suggested that the boiler was in need of a service and if I would like to book it he would charge a slightly reduced rate as we were local.

Last week, after the boiler completely stopped working, I contacted them again and they sent an Engineer. Although here only a short time, he fixed the boiler. All it was that the overheat safety thermostat had shut down the boiler.

Regarding the problems with the pipes/radiators, he very quickly was able to determine that the radiator thermostats are fitted the wrong way round and suggested that we should either fit new dual flow ones or change the existing ones around. He said that he would ask somebody to contact us with a quote for the job, which would probably involve a days work (6 - 8 hours labour).

To cut a long story short, I have now been able to determine, through a pal that has had some experience in central heating and combination boilers, that the problem is due to the fact that the Engineer, who fitted the new boiler made an elementary error.

The old boiler, a Myson Midas Sfi, has the central heating return on the left and the central heating flow on the right whereas on the new Potterton Performa 24 they are the other way round.

The engineer, for some reason, did not take this into consideration and, because of this, has connected them the wrong way round, which explains all the problems.

This being the case I contacted the Firm, explained the situation, and they are sending an engineer to change the plumbing tomorrow.

The thing that I would like to know is whether this error by their engineer could have damaged the boiler, radiator thermostats or the system in any way?

What safeguards do I need to obtain?

I have been told that I should, at least, ask for a full free service of the boiler.

The problem is that, from my experiences to date with this firm, I am not exactly filled with optimism about them doing the job correctly and giving me the correct advice.

Surely, one of their engineers should have determined the problem during one of their visits and the guy that came last week, who admitedly has only been with the firm for a few weeks, must have also spotted it but instead advised us to get them to change all the thermostats round or to fit new 'dual-flow' ones. Both of these options would, no doubt, have involved a days labour and cost, at least, several hundreds of pounds.

I would add that the firm involved is very well established.

Any help or advice on this would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't have done any damage (but surprised about the over heat as it has an internal bypass). Do all of your rads have thermostatic valves? Do you have a roomstat? When installed did they leave you a blue 'Benchmark' booklet?
If reversing the pipework at the boiler is going to look messy it might be worth doing a deal on quality either way trv's.

Yes, all of our rads (7 on three floors) have thermostats fitted.

Apparently, the overheat was caused by us, in error, trying to find a solution by turning all the thermostats off.

Is there any way of checking if any of the thermostats have been damaged?

Many thanks

To answer your other questions:

We do not have a roomstat.

Yes we do have a 'Benchmark' booklet entitled 'Installation, Commissioning and Service Record Log Book'.

Sponsored Links
boiler may well have a bypass but it is not big enough to dissapate all the heat so went to lockout,two probs you should of had a roomstat fitted with one radiator fitted with a pair of lockshields and good practice is to fit a autobypass.the solution is simple
A/ alter the pipework under the boiler so trv are on the flow
B/ remove a trv and replace with lockshield
C/fit a rf roomstat in the coolest part of the house[hallway]and make the hall radiator a bypass with a pair of lockshields[interlock]
from the tone of your post you sound like you are trying to get something for nothing i do not know what you paid for the work but an old saying you pay peanuts you get monkeys would appear to be true in your case
[bad day]in reference to any damage to any components/stats being damaged highly unlikely but you need to get the trvs/bypass issues sorted sharpish before any damage does occur,a simple cure to stop the noises and overheat prob remove all the heads on the trvs untill you have resolved your prob :rolleyes:

Thank you for your helpful advice.

I apologise if the tone of my post seemed as if I was trying to 'Get something for nothing' because that is certainly not the case!

When choosing a firm to carry out the work we went for the oldest and most established firm in the area despite their quotation being substantially above some of the others we received.

To date, including the latest callout charge of £88.13 incl VAT, we have paid a total of £2351.41!

Despite this, I must admit that I am still pretty angry, bearing in mind all the aggravation we have suffered having to, virtually every day when the heating was on, dash up and down stairs and around the house to turn the thermostats up, or down.

None of the engineers that visited us early last January; February and March spotted the problem and when the one that came last week spotted it, instead of telling us the real cause of the problem and the solution, he chose to tell us that we needed to replace all the trvs on the radiators with new dual-flow ones or change the existing ones round!

If we had of accepted this, as I am sure many people would have done, it would discharge them of any responsibility for their error and cost us a minimum of £700 incl VAT plus the cost of any parts needed.

As we are now retired and living on a pension, to put it mildly, I think that this firm has treated us quite shabbily to date and I just want to make sure that I have the necessary guarantees regarding their workmanship and any damage they have caused before I discharge them of their legal liability for their error.

First thing is to ask them why they fitted the boiler without upgrading to conform to Building Regs (2002). Bripl's explained how it should be done with roomstat, lockshields etc.
Without that your boiler keeps on running even when all the rooms are up to temp and the valves shut- so if the bypass can't cope it matters not if they're on the wrong end as it would still happen on the correct end!.

well first of all i will apologize to barbusa and thank him for disclosing the figures he has been charged which would appear to be reasonable for a correct installation, which he has not received i would suggest you contact the owner of the company and speak to him politely but firmly and see what he can offer you.as far as leverage his company are/were in breach of building regs. :oops:

Thanks again.

I must admit that sometimes I have to ask myself if I am being unreasonable on this one but I really do not think that I am.

Do you know if I can obtain a copy of the relevant part of the Building Regs (2002) online and what is the section that I need to look at?

I really do appreciate the advice and guidance you have given me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back