B.T. Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a problem with my telephone line which I thought I'd put to you experts first before calling B.T. out.
The line has a crackle and I can't dial out. If somebody phones me they get an engaged tone and my phone doesn't ring at all. If I unplug all equipment from all telephone sockets the caller still gets an engaged tone.
Despite this B.T. says there is no fault on the line!
My 1st. telephone point into the house comes in directly with no split box for me to take the front off.

Thanks in advance for anybody who takes the time to reply.

Paul

Sponsored Links
I take it you can unplug all extensions etc from the master socket? Once you have done this, try a couple of phones into the master socket alone.
If the problem persists this should eliminate all of your wiring after the master socket. Anything before the master socket is an issue for BT to sort.

I'm surprised they says it tests ok as to return engaged tone, the line has to have a short circuit on it.

If you dont have an NTE5 with a removeable bottom half :

bt_master_socket_2.jpg

then you must have old style line jacks :

lju2.jpg

If you unplug all your phones/ans machines/modems etc, then ring it from another line and get engaged tone, it's BT responsibility. They will likely give you the spiel about being charged but it's part of thier script and they have to say it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your answers, it's got to be a line fault then, I'll call B.T.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back