Telephone problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody got any ideas.
My telephone rings once (usually around 0600 hrs) with nobody at the other end of the line, it sometimes rings through the day as well, just once with nobody on the line.

My dialing tone keeps disappearing, the line is OK when I check in the morning but when I come in from work in the evening no dialing tone is there. Broadband is OK with no connection problems.

If I try phoning home from work the line is always engaged.

I have changed the telephones in the house, checked the BT line, that is OK. What else can I check!!
Desperate. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Usually symptoms of damp on your pair.

Have you disconnected all extension wiring and tried a phone in the main BT socket? Do this first, and if you still find it faulty, dial 150 from a working phone ;)

Dampness in the internal wiring between wires 3 and 2 will cause many types of phones to "ring" continuously. ( the capacity in the master socket is shorted and those "ringers" that will ring on DC will operate on the DC 50volts on wires 2 and 5 )

But Need to know more about the phone wiring in your house. Do you have a master socket with internal wiring connected to IDC connections on the removal part of the master socket ?

See

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

as lectrician says firstly if you have any extention wiring past the BT master socket disconnect it.

if the problem persists after doing that then inspect the incoming wiring to see if there is anything that looks like it was bodged/not put there by BT. try to eliminate any non BT kit and any non bt spec cable that is before the master socket even if doing so means moving the master socket. If bt spot anything that isn't thiers before the master socket they have a habbit of charging to replace it before they will look for the fault.

finally if things still don't work call BT.

Sponsored Links
My telephone used to do this at an odd our of the night, phoned BT and they said that is was a test signal that was causing the ring (it isn't meant to!!) and the way to stop this was to fit a 'line tinkle suppressor' which they sent me. After fitting no more tinkles (although I do wake up to go to the loo at about 4am)

my (old) line used to ring on the test signal, i phoned them and they sorted it (cant remember how now, they either turned something down, changed the time or took me off the test system). but in your case, with the intermittent missing dial tone, I suspect damp somewhere on a line too.folow the above advise to see if it on your side or theirs.

Lectrician said:
Usually symptoms of damp on your pair.

Have you disconnected all extension wiring and tried a phone in the main BT socket? Do this first, and if you still find it faulty, dial 150 from a working phone ;)

Checked main BT socket phone line working, however following day this too went - BT now coming out. Many thanks[/b][/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back