Telephone line problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem with our phone line, our telephone is not working, we can't make/receive calls, no dial tone etc. I have tested the socket with a couple of phones and no go. Broadband still works, and strangely the caller id function still works, though the phone doesnt actually ring so something is getting through.

Can you think of anything that might be at fault our side that might cause this? BT have said they'll come and have a look but if it's our fault it'll be £150 call out and £90/hr so I want to make very sure its not our fault.

Where does BTs responsibility end and ours start? Is it at the outlet which you plug the phone into?

Sponsored Links
BT responsibility ends at the master socket. Disconnect all your other internal wiring and test on that socket - if all works, it's an internal wiring problem and BT would charge for the call-out and more to fix it.

ADSL and Caller display work at very high frequency and will often still function using just ONE side of the PAIR of cables used to provide the line to your home. This break can be in the house, or in the run back to the exchange. The break may be a clear break, or a high resistance open circuit.

Thanks for your replies, Ive removed the face plate on the master socket and used the test socket and still no dial tone etc, so I guess it must be BTs issue.

I presume if it was a short circuit nothing would work would that be correct?

Sponsored Links
If you have an NTE5 type master socket, loosen off the bottom section and pull it forwards to reveal the internal phone socket. Plug a couple of known working phone in and see if they work. If they don't then the fault is on the BT side.

Hi Spark123,

That's what I meant by the test socket (I think we might have cross-posted! :) )

give their fault line a bell on the mobile,it will test the line for you and let you know of any problems in your area,i think the number is 0800 800 151

The line test is crap - it is a 50/50 gamble as to if it is correct!

A short circuit usually renders a line completely dead - The DLS may still creep through though! DSL can be an odd beast - it can trip up due to the smallest and oddest of things, but work happly through some other type of fault!

Sorry, didn't notice our crossed posts!
As the master socket isn't working the fault is almost certainly on the BT side so is their problem, best bet is fault reporting as ch427 says above.

jeeves said:
but if it's our fault it'll be £150 call out and £90/hr

How the f*** do they justify this? I mean, do they really pay their engineers £75 to drive to a job, £90 every hour he's there, and then £75 to go home? NO! the guy's on £10 per hour* if he's lucky, BT absorb the other £230. Robbing gits. Total robbing bastards. :evil:

*totally made up figure to back up my point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back