No Dial Tone

Got home early, thought I would have another f about with phone, unpluged master. Put back it all works. I think maybe a bad connection & it has taken a year to develope to a fault. Cancelled bt. Wait to see if it stays up & running.
Thanks for all the tips etc

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I had something similiar a few months ago. It just started to happen. I did the online BT fault check and this reported all OK. But strangly after doing this all worked.....could that may be have re-set something?

Who know?

There was a lot of aluminium cable used a few years ago when copper was in short supply.The ali was ok till a joint leaked and water penetrated the cable,the ali then turned to powder in places ,but the line still worked albeit noisy.To find where the fault was we used to megga the faulty pair and send 500v down it ,this blew the wire apart and then we could measure to the fault.As I have said even though broad band would probably work in this scenerio speech would'nt.

ugjointer said:
There was a lot of aluminium cable used a few years ago when copper was in short supply.The ali was ok till a joint leaked and water penetrated the cable,the ali then turned to powder in places ,but the line still worked albeit noisy.To find where the fault was we used to megga the faulty pair and send 500v down it ,this blew the wire apart and then we could measure to the fault.As I have said even though broad band would probably work in this scenerio speech would'nt.

Why send 500v down , just loop the other end set the megger on contact , get your ohms reading and divide by 10 , then use your slide rule to get your reading... read the prints and work out the ohms for each section of copper / ali / paper cable..

or you could just PC if FRS was still around.

Sponsored Links
ugjointer said:

Isn't the whole of MKeynes on alloy based wire, and I thought BB didn't work via this medium

You could use your method,but it was quicker to make the line diss and then measure to the diss with a scope that then gave you a measurement in metres to the fault from the scope ,a lot easier I would say.

All areas will have a mixture of copper and ali cable from exchange to the cabinets and up to the pole top.As one length of ali goes faulty it would be replaced with copper but there would still be lengths of ali with BB going through it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back