BT lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a friend who runs an Indian takeaway.
He has 2 business BT lines, but is also signed up to an Alternative Service Provider, using Carrier Preselection. Since Friday no-one can dial in, both numbers give the message "this number does not accept incoming calls". He can't dial out, even though he has ring tone.
He is having trouble getting BT to sort the problem.
He has asked them to divert the incoming calls to his mobile, but they either can't, or won't do that.
Who's responsibility is it to sort it out, is it BT or the ASP?
How should he proceed?
Help appreciated.Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is the responsibility of whoever owns or runs the faulty equipment/network.

Unfortunately, pinning down the cause of this fault may be tricky.

Has the setting up of the CP caused the fault? In which case that could be cancelled to see if the lines are accessible.

Why is he having trouble getting BT to sort it? I guess BT have done all they can, and can't find fault with their infra-structure.

They will divert calls if they or their equipment is at fault, so I think my assumption must be correct.

Has he talked to the ASP?

My final question. Why isn't he posting here to ask these questions?

Thanks securespark.
I thought incoming calls did'nt go via the ASP's exchange, i.e. they were direct, is this right?
My friend is not on the internet, so I hoped the forum would'nt mind my posting on his behalf.

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, they don't. But what I was getting at was trying to pinpoint the problem, by removing anything set up by the ASP. Thus if the problem remains, it is likely to be with BT. If it goes away, then it is the ASP's fault.

I thought that on a business line BT would respond and fix problems within a certain number of hours rather than the days it can take on domestic numbers.

Fixed after two/three days, or they will give you compensation each day till it is fixed, yes.

But it appears BT don't believe the problem to be theirs, because they are not looking into the fault.

That is the problem, neither BT or the ASP are actioning any fault-finding on the system.

Thanks securespark & baldelectrician.
I agree terminating the ASP's involvement is the logical approach, as with any fault, "split the system down the middle to see which side is giving the problem" is the normal approach, but if incoming calls don't go anywhere near the ASP's exchange, it should'nt be necessary in this case.
What does #261# do?

Chris.J said:
What does #261# do?
I have no idea what it's supposed to do, but on my (pure BT) line it says "Sorry, the service requested is not available" !

I'd be interested to hear what it should do, too...

Cheers,

Howard[/b]

HDRW said:
Chris.J said:
What does #261# do?
I have no idea what it's supposed to do, but on my (pure BT) line it says "Sorry, the service requested is not available" !

I'd be interested to hear what it should do, too...

Cheers,

Howard[/b]

Wouldnt it be funny if, when typed into a pure BT line, it actually cut your service off or something like that, and all these people are trying it now! Baldelectrician may have a lot to answer for!

To do with a subscription service, call barring:
1028.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back