BT Line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two BT lines which come into the house, but I only use one of them at the moment. I am thinking of using the 2nd one soon as well, but a week a go BT came & replaced the pole outside (as someone had gone into it with their car), & cut off the drop wire for the 2nd line, from the pole to the outside of the house.

So when I want to start using the 2nd line BT will have to redo the drop wire from the pole to the house. Would they charge me for redoing the wire, as they cut the old wire in the first place (They did not ask me if I still wanted the 2nd line or not), or would they do it for free.

The master socket for the 2nd line is still in the house.

The 2nd line is still connected at BT's end (As there was still a dial tone, all the line needed was a number)

Sponsored Links
ssray said:
up until the point it exits the master box its there problem,call and ask

So they might redo the wire from the pole to the master socket for free, as they were the ones who cut the wire, & also did not ask if I still wanted to have a 2nd line going to the house.

If you are still paying line rental for 2 lines then you have every right to demand that they re-instate what you are paying for, if not then it will be treated as a new instal

Sponsored Links
A second phone line (domestic) will cost £99 to install. If there is already an NTE present, there would be no charge. There are occasions where the charge will be higher, and quote provided - If your house is in the sticks with do spare pairs, and the pairs are dacs'ed up to the nines for example.

BT do (suprisingly) have records of how many nte's are in a property, and what pair they are on back to the exchange, and what port they terminate to in the exchange etc.

When they get dished jobs, they can see from the paperwork how many pairs are free etc.

Worst case is you may have to pay £99, best case it will be free. I would stand my ground, as someone obviously has already paid the £99, so it should not be charged again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back