BT Cables !!

bathjobby said:
The black cable this thread is about........ why bother posting if you can't be bothered to read the thread ! (rhetorical)...
Actually, this thread is not (officially) about that. There had been no mention of black cable until out of the blue (hey, hey, my, my) you said "And if you are using black telephone cable like BT do, where did you get it from " for no apparent reason...

Sponsored Links
bathjobby said:
slippyr4
what black cable are you after? dropwire?
The black cable this thread is about........ why bother posting if you can't be bothered to read the thread ! (rhetorical)...

I did. Look at the first post you made - "And if you are using black telephone cable like BT do" - no-one clarified what kind of black cable.

There are several sorts. The most common black bt cable is dropwire - 3 pair + steel catenary core.

rarely there is 5 pair black internal cable,
there is 3 pair black polythene reinforced internal cable,

the list goes on

Whilst you all argue over who said what, I have done it now anyway.

Managed to acquire some BT cable (black), and it all works hunky dory.
Bit of a pain to strip the outer sheath though - bloomin tough plastic.

Sponsored Links
kojakb said:
Bit of a pain to strip the outer sheath though - bloomin
tough plastic.

Aye. The engineers have a special tool to do that - kind of a folding plastic thing with roller blades in set at just the right depth. I managed to source one, and it was very useful til it broke.

bathjobby said:
And if you are using black telephone cable like BT do, where did you get it from. Its as rare as hens teeth here.

Maplin does black sheathed 3 pair telephone cable good for wiring telephone extensions round the outside - have done so for years.

You'll also be wanting black 5mm cable clips. You can get white ones anywhere but they look really naff holding up black cable outside; black is much better, but much harder to find.

I recently found that you can get them here:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TCR5slashBLACK.html

Bill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back