BT Cables !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to add a phone point at the rear of my house (via the external of the house).

I currently have blue, blue/white, orange,orange/white cables clipped inside the BT socket INSIDE my house. (2, 3, 4, 5)

Outside, in the BT Nox, I have the BT line coming up, and that is connected to the above cable, on the blue and blue/white cables.

Can I connect the new cable to the orange and orange/white outside ??

Or would the cable have to be connected to the BT Socket inside ???

If that makes sense !!

Sponsored Links
No, you need to keep onthe blues...ignore the oranges they were only terminated for the sake of it, but when you connect the other box terminate orange/white in no3 this is for ringing purposes

To add to and clarify what ben said, you need to connect the extensions to pins 2 & 5 - they are the actual line.

The pin 3 is a ring signal, emmitted from your master socket. If you buy decent (primary/master) sockets for your extensions (ones that have a ring capacitor in them) then you don't need, and probably are best not, connecting pin 3.

Picture of a master socket with ring cap in:-
bt_skt_master.jpg

It is only for a PC to plug into (broadband). It wont need a ringer will it ??

Sponsored Links
kojakb said:
It is only for a PC to plug into (broadband). It wont need a ringer will it ??

no, but the phone you connect in the future probably will

So I need to get another master socket ??

And can the new phone line cables just go in on top of the exsisting ?

kojakb said:
So I need to get another master socket ??

And can the new phone line cables just go in on top of the exsisting ?

1: no

2: yes

you need a slave socket. without ringing cap. wire term 2,3 and 5 form the new socket to the same in the existing socket (can be taken from anywhere, not just the master socket). and your done.

And if you are using black telephone cable like BT do, where did you get it from. Its as rare as hens teeth here.

.......I have loads!

Find a BT chap, and be-friend him.....or find an exchange, and raid the skip!

They skip all drums with short lengths on - all their aerial drops are fairly long, so shorter lengths are useless.

Lectrician said:
or find an exchange, and raid the skip!

They skip all drums with short lengths on - all their aerial drops are fairly long, so shorter lengths are useless.
gonna have to do that sometime. might even make a trip to the telewest yard sometime...

I am after Black Cable too, fingers crossed I can hold of some.

Living oppopsite an Exchange should help !! :LOL:

kojakb said:
I am after Black Cable too, fingers crossed I can hold of some.

Living oppopsite an Exchange should help !! :LOL:

i dont even kno where my local exchange is

That's the only black phone cable I can think of.

Wouldn't want to use it inside, surely? (Not sure it's flexible enough anyway....)

Whatever - if you do go skipping for some, remember this:

1) Even though it's been thrown in a skip it is still someone's property.

2) When you cut it, watch out for the reinforcing wire - very sharp ends.

slippyr4
what black cable are you after? dropwire?
The black cable this thread is about........ why bother posting if you can't be bothered to read the thread ! (rhetorical)...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back