Telephone Sockets - no BT central socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just moved in to a new flat and the phone lines are a bit messed up. Thre is a BT box in the far corner of the house (furthest away from where the phone wants to be) but it is dead. There is a phone socket in the lounge that works but it is really bad quality. It's not a BT socket but a normal second socket type of thing you can buy in shops. I've traced the lead of this up to the loft where it meets a very old looking junction box type of thing. The 5 wires of this extension go into the junction box and it is connected to a long wire in the loft that only has two cables in it. I'm guessing this is the main input line from BT and that a previous owner has maybe cut this (?) and fed it to the junction box.

Does this sound about right? If so, is there anything I can do to improve the quality of the line? I called BT but they said they'd charge me £125 just to come and have a look!!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
is the dead BT master socket a NTE5 (two part) unit or a single peice unit.

if its the former i suggest disconnecting the incoming cable from your junction box, removing the BT master socket from its present location and connecting it directly to what you think is the incoming cable. and seeing if things improve. If not you'll have to trace it further back. If you still can't find the problem by the point at which it leaves your property set things up in a way that there is as little evidence as possible of the previous owners tampering (BT spec cable can be purchased, ask for CW1308 for internal and CW1308B for external and use 3 pair because BT don't use 2 pair) and then call BT out.

the older single peice master sockets have IDCs which probablly aren't suitable for the external cable type you have (if its only two cores i'm guessing its something old and probablly thicker than modern phone cable) so you'll have to keep the junction box, hopefully its a BT branded one.

Sponsored Links
If you have just moved in then BT should ( with a bit of pressure ) treat you to a free visit to bring the circuit up to the required standard.

It isn't your fault the previous people messed around with the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back