Removing/replacing telephone junction box?

crafty1289 said:
when would they notice???? I mean, when do bt people ever come into our homes and see that their equipment is in order? They have never been into our house in 19 years (since we lived here).
They will come when and if you report a line fault and you've convinced them that its not your correctly plugged in kit broken.

I very much doubt they will notice the junction box gone.

what they will notice is non-bt kit where it shouldn't be and bt LOVE to blame such kit when you report a line fault and they often will charge to "fix" said non-bt kit before they will fix the real problem!

Sponsored Links
I once had BT come to my house. I'd loosened the master socket to decorate the wall, and the incoming cable has a braided steel cover under the sheathing, which was attached to the wall box. I'd let one of the cores touch the box; their automated overnight testing detected continuity with earth, they came along to fix it. By then I'd seen and corrected my mistake (I got a card advising they were going to call), the BT engineer inspected what I'd done, and very kindly reconnected my clumsy extension wiring f.o.c.

I must have been making myself pleasant that day.

oh i'm sure they aren't all bad but when they get a frustrating problem and are in a foul mood its easy (and probablly looks good on thier performance results) to blame anything thats not bts responsibility.

I know this is a REALLY old post but....

We move into a new flat and the main telephone socket comes from a really old little oval junction box. The junction box is loose on the window sill with bare wires coming out of it and is easily reachable by our children. It'll last days, if that, in its current position/state.

Our provider says theres nothing wrong with the line so they won't get an engineer to replace/move it and OR won't do anything without the provider booking it.

Heres the box: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xKXfLIBgzT1uM1g42

I seem to have no options but get someone to upgrade/move it as they've left me no choice.

Anyone?

Sponsored Links
If you short the wires togeter it will kill the phone line, and you will have to contact BT to get it reset.

No it won't. The phone wires are shorted together every time a number is dialled (with an old dial which still works on BT lines).

We move into a new flat and the main telephone socket comes from a really old little oval junction box. The junction box is loose on the window sill with bare wires coming out of it and is easily reachable by our children. It'll last days, if that, in its current position/state.

Our provider says theres nothing wrong with the line so they won't get an engineer to replace/move it and OR won't do anything without the provider booking it.

I seem to have no options but get someone to upgrade/move it as they've left me no choice.

Anyone?

There are no bare wires there. Unsheathed maybe, but not bare.

No it won't.

If they are shorted for longer than a certain length of time ( minutes or hours, memory fade ) without a call being made then the exchange might ( depending on type of equipment ) consider the line to be PG and then park the line.

PG = Permanent Glow from the days when a lamp lit on the manual switchboard to indicate a phone was Off Hook but not in a call.

Last edited:
RF did indeed write that - but just a couple of weeks shy of 12 years ago !

Kind Regards, John
Indeed he did.

And later that same day:

put a bit of tape on the end of each wire. If you short the wires togeter it will kill the phone line, and you will have to contact BT to get it reset.
Can confirm this is not the case!

I (and other telecoms engineers) do this all the time, w/o problem...

I stand corrected :oops:

Strange how Winston noticed something to criticise, and ignored the fact that it had already been corrected.

Anyone?
If nobody will do anything about it without you paying, then as I see it you have 3 choices.

1. Pay
  2. Sort it out yourself
  3. Write to them, with photos, explaining your concerns, and asking them what will happen if the wiring comes adrift and the phone stops working.

Depending on what they answer to #3, you may find that you have nothing to lose by going for #2 - it's not a difficult task, and there are no dangerous voltages present.

You can easily buy BT branded NTE sockets - as long as you don't mess up, nobody will ever know.

Last edited:
As I said they've given me no choice. I sent open reach a photo via chat and they said it needs upgrading but provider won't do anything without a line fault so stuck in the middle. I don't do sockets.

So what were you hoping for when you posted, if you are resolutely opposed to fixing it yourself?

So what were you hoping for when you posted, if you are resolutely opposed to fixing it yourself?

Mostly non condescending helpful tips on ways people may have convinced providers or OR to do it paid or unpaid. A helpful guide on how to do it when photos would help.

A helpful guide on how to do it when photos would help.
Search for 'how to install NTE5 socket' and there are countless websites, videos and the like to show you how. This is one:

The short version - the two wires connected to the junction box from the outside wiring connect to the two terminals on the back of the new socket.

Search for 'how to install NTE5 socket' and there are countless websites, videos and the like to show you how. This is one:

The short version - the two wires connected to the junction box from the outside wiring connect to the two terminals on the back of the new socket.
Amazing thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back