BT Master Socket - which wire?

That FAQ just says its nothing to do with them. I've noticed it first hand when working in BT exchanges, some lines have CLI from different exchanges.

Sponsored Links
Given what I have said earlier do you folks think it's the Master Box wiring or a fault with the home move process?

Given what I have said earlier do you folks think it's the Master Box wiring or a fault with the home move process?

Dial 17070 and see if it returns your phone number. If it doesn't, it confirms the home move didn't occur.

If 17070 doesn't return a number, dial 1470 17070.

I doubt you would get dial tone if the white was incorrect.

Sponsored Links

Dial 17070 and see if it returns your phone number. If it doesn't, it confirms the home move didn't occur.

If 17070 doesn't return a number, dial 1470 17070.

I doubt you would get dial tone if the white was incorrect.

It returns a phone number which isn't mine, so it sounds pretty conclusive that it's the house move that is the problem. I now need BT to sort this out before the end of next week. Wish me luck!

Thanks to all for your advice

The black cable coming into your house.

Did the builder do anything to the other end of that cable ?

Could he have tampered with it in a junction box somewhere ?

Don't know about anyone else but I can't help thinking that there's more than one stopped line in that bundle and the OP just happens to have connected the one that BT haven't moved the existing service to.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to check for a dial tone on the other pairs there, and if a dial tone is found, check the number with 17070.

If it was a commercial property, I would agree, but this is a domestic isn't it?

It's worth a shout, I didn't think of that.

It's unlikely unless the property did have 2 lines installed at one point in the past though.

Both - unlikely, agreed, however I personally would want to check before getting an Openreach Engineer around.

Ah good news! Thanks for following up; always good to know what the resolution was!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back