Help needed bt drop wire to master socket connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. My electrician has moved the BT master switch but my phone wasnt working after this. Upon further investigation ive realised that he has not connected the master socket to the bt drop wire.

At the master socket end the electrician has connected the green and orange cables to the A and B.

I have tried to connect those colours to the white junction without luck. I swapped the cables round but still no luck. What am I doing wrong?

I attach a picture of the drop wire and the master socket cable. Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers
A

Attachments

• 20161218_152216.jpg
    20161218_152216.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 5,573
  • 20161218_152205.jpg
    20161218_152205.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 1,946
Sponsored Links
First and foremost these cables and Master socket are the property of OpenReach and the builder ( or who ever moved the Master socket ) should be asking OpenReach to repair the fault he created and pay what ever Openreach charge.

If the Master socket was moved why was it necessary to interfere with the external junction box. ?

Is the black cable the runs horizontally from the junction box the cable that goes to the master socket ? Did the builder install this cable ?

What colours are ( were ) connected to the A and B terminals on the back plate of the master socket ?

If the horizontal cable is new and does go to the Master socket then in the junction box connect the two green wires together and connect the two orange wires together. This will get the phone line to the Master socket. Connect the Orange/Green pair to the A and B terminals on the back plate of the Master socket.

To get any extension working you will have to sort out the internal wiring that connects ( or was connected ) to the front half of the Master socket.

Thanks for your reply. Im aware of the BT / Openreach situation. Unfortunately in my case - a little too late

He has run a new cable from the junction box to the master box. It actually runs outside the house and then goes through the wall to where the master box now lives. From the pictures, it is the horizontal black cable. The drop cable Is the verticle one that runs into the ground.

I don't know what colours were connected to the originally placed master socket, but in the new position he has connected orange and green to A and B. I tried connecting the orange and green pair to the white mini junction box without success.

Do you think I need to remove the 2 black and 1 white 'mini junction boxes' (sorry I dont know what they are called) and then do a straightforward orange to orange and green to green connection?

Cheers
A

It is essential that you know which colours were connected. Usually only 2 wires are used. Use of more would be exceptional. I always take a picture of the box before I do any alterations. If you aren't sure you need to connect a master socket to the cable and plug in a phone and try different combinations until one works. Generally BT use orange and white, but on my son's house recently it was blue and white. Once you have found the correct 2 wires, simply connect the new cable to the old using the same colours if possible and everything should work. You can use the cable connector to make the connection or simply twist the two wires together and cover them with heat shrink. Start with orange and green and work from there.

Sponsored Links
I made a mistake ( too early in the morning )

The first pair in a drop cable are the Orange and White (*) wires. The second pair are the Black and Green wires

(*) There are 4 "whites" one is copper and the telephone wire. the other 3 are steel support strands to provide the strength for when the cable is strung from pole to house. Be carefull as these steel strands frequently have very sharp points at the ends.

I don't know if you have sorted your problem yet but here's my pennies worth.
Your electrician is a mug! If you magnify your photo you can easily see that all he has done is 'back jointed' the (probably) working pair
onto a spare pair in the same feed cable. So in essence, your incoming phone line comes in on 1 pair of wires and he has unbelievably just connected it to another 2 wires on the same cable, how the hell did he expect that to work?!!!
The cable coming from the ground is not a 'drop' cable, it is a 5 pair grease filled ug cable,
The working pair should be the white and blue that for some reason is connected to the orange and green wires.
Now considering the sparks seems to be a complete numpty, your master socket should be connected to the orange and white wire from the horizontal cable (take note of what Bernard said regarding the other 3 white wires) and it should be a 'simple' case of connecting these 2 wires to the white and blue from the vertical cable.
Good luck if hasn't already been sorted.
PS Dont use that sparks again, it's only 2 colour coded wires for gods sake and he gets it wrong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back