No BT Master Socket!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My property was renovated before we bought it, and some-one (perhaps the electrician) installed 8 telephone sockets all splicing off from the black BT cable in the loft.

Instead of a master socket there is a junction box with the BT wire connected and then 2 extension phone wires going to the fiirst and ground floor.

Suffice to say the broadband connection isn't much cop, and I don't need 8 telephone sockets, and my ideal option is to extend the incoming cable into front-room via the chimney breast, as there is a socket there I can already use plus one of these extension cables appears to go directly to the socket in this room.

I'm not willing to pay BT £200 to fit a master socket, so given that there was no master socket when I moved in I may as well do it myself.

Any tips on how to get the best connection? I'm not sure what the rules are when extending phone wire, just twisting bare wires together is probably not best way!

Thanks
Kev

Sponsored Links
The incoming line will consist of 2 wires only, these connect to the 2 terminals on the back of the master socket.
The existing internal wiring could be reused, provided it is the correct type (solid core). If stranded, it will have to be replaced.

Ideally, wires should not be joined, but if this is unavoidable, then either use jelly crimps (these can be purchased on ebay in small quantities) or a terminal box with punchdown connectors (this will also require the use of the proper tool to insert the wires).
Other methods of joining wires such as twisting or screw terminals will be useless.

For the best broadband, connect the modem directly to the master socket. If you need extensions, connect them via a filtered adaptor such as this one.

Even when you do this you may find no improvement at all in your adsl , it all depends on how far from the exchange you are and how good the cables between the exchange and your house are .

Sponsored Links
If you need extensions, connect them via a filtered adaptor such as this one.

And if you need your modem to be at some location other than where that single filter is located at the NTE, use a dedicated pair to extend from the unfiltered line to a single jack provided for the modem. That way you won't end up with bridge taps on the unfiltered line which can cause signal reflections and cause problems with the DSL signal.

You would be correct to assume the 8 socket configuration is affecting your broadband and are doing the right thing by fitting a master socket.

Disconnect the internal wiring where it connects to the black wire in the loft and from that black wire run internal telephone cable to where you want your master socket. Use scotchlok connecters to make the connection in the loft and use a NTE5 type master socket.

Thanks for all your replies, you've been very helpful.

I just need a link to these connectors you are mentioning,, the ones to connect the internal wiring to the BT line?

The crimping pliers on that site would be handy as they apply parallel pressure on the crimp, but they are a bit pricy at £22 for a one off. You could use mole grips if you squeeze one side then the other to make the crimp form evenly. Other than that, a staple gun for tacking the wire, magna mole for feeding through cavities, some rawl plugs for mounting the socket and away you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back