Master Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The wiring in our house was done by BT back in the days, around the 1990's. They had installed one socket in the upstairs front room and a extension in the front room downstairs. There was a extra third one which BT installed in the living room.

Now, coming forward to just two years ago. A BT engineer was working on the telephone pole and he must have forgotten to reconnect the wires, well something happened and it knocked our telephone line out.

Well, BT engineer came around, check everything, found the fault on the Pole and reconnected the wires.

He noticed that we didn't have a BT Master Socket, so he replaced the socket in the upstairs front room with a master socket.

Well, around two weeks ago, I was experiencing problems with my broadband speeds, was getting nothing, around 160kbps.

Well, BT engineer came around today, found a fault with the wiring from the master socket to the black connector which connects to the main wire to the telephone pole. Well he changed that wire and he also done some wire changing from the BT junction box to the bottom of the pole.

After all of that, I was receiving around 7MB, which was great.

BUT for some reason, when he connected the internal wiring back in, the speed dropped. He said it was probably because of the other wire which goes from the master socket, down the outside wall and back into the downstairs front room. (this was the socket which BT installed yonks ago)

(before the this speed problems, I was getting a cool 6MB on my internal wiring with no problems)

He said to replace that wire as its probably damaged and moving it around will have caused it more damage. I asked him, isn't BT responsible for what they install? He said no, its only upto the Master Socket.

Is he right? Is it upto the Master Socket and thats it. Even if BT have installed the other two extensions???

Sponsored Links
Yes,B.T only guarantee any extension they fit for 12 months.

They (BT) might well have installed the extension,you try proving it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back