2nd master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As with most telephone set ups I have a BT master socket with the main wire coming in to the house with 4 cores, two of which are connected to the master socket which is located at the front of the house in the living room.

I need to extend the telephone connection so the wireless router can sit in the middle of the house providing better wireless reception.

I have a spare master socket lying around at home so I was wondering, can I have two master sockets in the house?
I was hoping to connect the 2nd socket with the wires connected in parallel to that of the first so it will be as if the router is connected directly in to the master socket rather than an extension.?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
no you cannot have two master sockets.

Replace the front of the master socket with a filtered front plate. Connect you phone wiring to the filtered output terminals. Connect the unfiltered output of the front plate to a slave socket where you need the router to be located. Use CW1308 telephone cable for this connection.

Separating phone wiring from ADSL ( broadband ) wiring at the BT master socket using a filtered front plate gives the best result.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

There are other sources of filtered front plates

You can convert your master socket into a "slave socket" by removing the capacitor, out of service resistor and suppressor from your master socket. ( not the BT one )

Because the effect of having two ring capacitors and two out of service resistors in parallel across the incoming pair can result in the automatic routiners ( Line testing equipment ) reporting the line as suspect fault.

Sponsored Links
Something that might have been true years ago, but doesn't apply today. Lots of people have more than one master socket and have no problems.

So why have Master & Slave boxes then?

Why do all the 'on line' telephone help pages (created by telephone engineers by the way) always say & show Master / Slave boxes?

slave boxes are cheaper and one master supplies the ring current for many slave boxes.

I heard that it is better not to use 3 cores from the master socket and just connect one twisted pair to 2 and 5 to a second socket, something to do with the broadband speed. Last one I did ended up with two master sockets on an Openreach engineers say so.

The latest NTE 5 front plate splitters and some times the back plates have inductors fitted in the bell wire ( pin 3 ) to isolate the bell circuit at ADSL fequencies.

Problems were "discovered" when large numbers of micro filters were used on a line as each micro filter has a bell capacitor. This also presented a problem when line testing was performed hence the instruction to un-plug all internal wiring before the line was tested.

they ask you to unplug your equipment in case of an earth contact or short circuit on your kit. the higher capacitance of many master sockets or micro filters in itself doesn't cause the test to show a fault result.

One of the advanced tests that is made after the basic DC tests have shown the line is basically OK as regards earth leakage involves measuring the AC current through the 470,000 resistor via the bell capacitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back