Master Socket Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently replaced a number of telephone extensions in our house whilst redecroating our master bedroom (where the master socket for the BT line is installed).

There are two extension wires connected to the master socket, and its rather difficult to get both sets of wires punched into the clips. I wondered if its possbile to solder the two extension wires together and punch them in so they are more secure?

Is there a problem doing this or is it ok? My reasoning is that the wires are connected when punched in anyway so why not solder?

Thanks very much for your time.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Soldering might work for a little bit but after a while the solder can flow causing the connection to go dodgy.
Is it an NTE5 type master socket? You shouldn't have too much bother punching in two normal telephone wires into an IDC terminal with the right tool, might be the terminal is past it.

Soldering might work for a little bit but after a while the solder can flow causing the connection to go dodgy.
Is it an NTE5 type master socket? You shouldn't have too much bother punching in two normal telephone wires into an IDC terminal with the right tool, might be the terminal is past it.

Thanks for the quick reply, the socket is an NTE5b (without the socket on the front) and you are correct its knockin on a bit. I think the connections are a little stretched to be honest because instead of punching them in nice and tightly, the first one goes in ok but the second is loose because it is not gripped enough by the "pincers".

Could I perhaps replace the lower half of the box? I know the master socket is BT's and it is illegal to change anything except for the lower portion i.e. internal wiring?

Thanks for the help

Chris

I think you can buy a full NTE5 socket for not a lot of money, or if you are using broadband you can get a replacement front plate with a built in microfilter.

Sponsored Links
I did have a look on ADSL nation to be honest - at their XTE 2005 filtered socket and i'm seriously considering purchasing one but due to legal reasons I'm not 100% sure about replacing the whole NTE5 as its BT's property and if I mess things up then I will have to pay to get it fixed and from what I understand its not very cheap.

I think I shall leave it as it is for now and will look into replacing it with a filtered one as you say.

Thanks very much for all your help and suggestions.

That's the beauty of the NTE5 type socket :D . The front panel comes off with two screws to reveal a test socket behind, you can replace the faceplate part without problem. You are not allowed to tinker about in the back of the NTE5 socket. http://www.bttorj45.com/BTNTE5ADSLfaceplate.html

Just looked up that part number on adsl nation, that is basically the same as the one I have linked to above. Don't think there is any problem with you replacing the faceplate, the faceplate on the NTE5 is removed and this replaces it. There is no need to mess around in the back of the NTE5 socket at all.

The ADSL nation one is a cheap generic chinese manufactured filter, the one linked to above is made by Pressac in the UK who supply BT.

Nonsense, where do you get that idea from ?

ADSL Nation are one of the most highly respected filter suppliers in the UK.

Nonsense? I can buy the filter they sell for £4.50, only difference is they have had their logo screen printed on it(which the chinese facory will do for anyone). They may claim they manufacture it-ask to see proof of this. Do you not think BT would supply these filters if they were so good? They stick with Pressac for a reason. Sounds like you've been sucked in by the hype too.......

Going Digital, joined TODAY & pops up in an ADSL Nation post? Coincidence of the year, your location is also where they are based, is that you Darren?

Hmm sounds more like a case of sour grapes of someone who is trawling these forums trying to sell their stuff trying to make their stuff look good.

If you look at my post history you will see I joined to ask questions about insulating my loft not to be abused by you. Looking at your history it seems you are just someone spamming the forum with links to your own site. Go and take your spam somewhere else and leave the rest of us to get on with doing our DIY, unless of course you know the answer to my insulation questions.

Take a look at my posts & you will see most are concerning DIY issues(member since 2003, not 1 DAY), seeing as this is the industry i work in and someone has already posted links to the site above i used the same site(ranks high in Google). Seeing as you are such an expert on the subject please explain the difference between a cheap chinese filter as seen here :-

& the "premium" ADSL nation ones :-

There is none, both from the same factory, one has had a logo screen printed on it. If you think they make that filter ask them for proof-any company worth anything would have a patent on "their" design. None exists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back