BT Master Socket wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had no dial tone, so i've run the recommended BT checks and found that the test socket within the master is working fine when i plug in directly as are the other 4 extensions (which explains why BT say the line is testing fine).

Therefore i'm guessing the problem seems to be the wiring between the back of the master socket and the front plate.

If this is the case is it BT's problem or mine?

I've emailed BT a few days ago but no response!

Sponsored Links
Your responsiblity, but no big cost.
BT "own" the responsiblity upto the back half of the NTE5 box, so if a phone works when connected into the socket inside the box, then they can show that their part is OK.

From your description, it seems that the front plate has a fault on the contacts. The cost of a replacement box is insignificant and reconnecting the wires in the cable that goes to the extension sockets is just a matter of being careful and replacing them exactly as they were.
A plastic credit card may enable you to insert the wires into the IDC contact slots if you have not got the proper tool!

(If you need a broadband connection, it may be worth swopping the box for an adapted NTE5 with inbuilt filter, whilst you are doing the work)

thanks, the master socket is fairly new though (approx 12 months old) can you tell the difference visually between a NTE5 with or without filter?

The regular NTE5 has a lower plate which when fitted is flush with the rest of the faceplate and has just a single telephone jack on the front. The filtered unit is somewhat larger and sits proud of the surface, and has two jacks on it (telephone & DSL).

Standard NTE5:

nte5ext.jpg

NTE2000 filtered unit, which replaces the NTE5's lower panel:

!B(Uk9y!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLl)2U9BKbtS-GO!!~~_35.JPG

You can find other similar units from various sources, e.g:

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

Sponsored Links
4 extensions??? do you really need them all...its probably a short circuit on one of them but it knocks them all off....take one off as a time to see what one is causing the fault....dont use a credit card or screwdriver to put them back in as you may damage the jaws...buy a krone tool off ebay

OP says the extensions are working fine, so it must just be the front socket that has a fault.
Yes, a credit card is not ideal-----but it is more often available for a DIYer than a Krone and better than a screwdriver!

yes, pretty sure the extensions are ok,and they all get used - i'll double check though first. It's definitely not the filtered unit too, so maybe time for an upgrade.

Check the little spring contacts on the inside of the front plate. Sometimes one or more of them get bent & don't make contact. Or sometimes they become H/R with verdigree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back