BT Infinity frequently drops out - changing set-up help?

No it's not. That's not the one BT were fitting as part of the engineer attended Infinity installs. Do you have a HomeHub 5? These don't require the separate Openreach VDSL modem. Is that what the white thing in the photo is?

So, does anyone know if you have one of the self install Infinity packages what *do* you get these days. I no longer work for them so can't ask :rolleyes:
Anything from ADSL filters to none supplied at all is what is happening on self installs. The white thing in the photo looks like a standard plug in filter to me. The faceplate in the pictures you linked to also has a filter for REIN issues, seeing as REIN issues can cause drop outs those saying fitting a faceplate is a waste of time are mistaken.

Sponsored Links
[You really need to show some proof of that or explain why BT themselves fit this cable....
I do not know why BT use CAT5 for ADSL internally other than maybe it saves them having to carry a reel of CW1308 and a reel of CW1724.

My proof is from four or five places were I have replaced CAT5 cable with CW1308 and the user has found the ADSL / Broadband service was better as result. All of these were in the same village about 3 miles cable run from the exchange.

As you say
ADSL & vDSL can happily be patched over CAT5e or CAT6 with next to no deg to the signal.
next to no deg to the signal. If the signal is already weak next to no deg can take it below the receiver's threshold.

Your experience completely contradicts what everyone else says & finds. BT used CAT5E cable when ADSL was an engineer install only product, that was over a decade ago. Now with vDSL they have actually developed a new cable (CW1724) that is CAT5e spec in everything but pair count (only 2 pair).

Anyway, this is OT for the thread starter.

Ok, thanks all so far (even those that are OT / I don't understand!)

Where do I go from here?

Bearing in mind that I don't want upheaval that ultimately does not fix the issues, I need a "trial fix". Which is?

Plug phone-type lead from HH into splitter at master socket faceplate in photo (using an extension cable if necessary), and see how that goes?
(Of course, the phone itself will have to be plugged into the other side of the splitter too, as we need a phone!)

Shall I start with the above suggestion?

Sponsored Links
Personally I would fit a vDSL faceplate & a vDSL extension kit if plugging the router into the mater socket is not an option. Once you know you have done everything possible internally if you still get issues you then need to call your provider. Do you ever have noise on the phone line?

Personally I would fit a vDSL faceplate & a vDSL extension kit if plugging the router into the master socket is not an option. Once you know you have done everything possible internally if you still get issues you then need to call your provider. Do you ever have noise on the phone line?

I'll ask the missus about phone line noise - I never use the thing!

I may be back, asking for linkies to appropriate faceplates and extensions!

Thanks in the meantime :)

Anything from ADSL filters to none supplied at all is what is happening on self installs. The white thing in the photo looks like a standard plug in filter to me. The faceplate in the pictures you linked to also has a filter for REIN issues, seeing as REIN issues can cause drop outs those saying fitting a faceplate is a waste of time are mistaken.

Cheers. When we had an engineer install for our Infinity the old master panel was replaced with an item the same. So yes a plug in filter.

Suppose it's cheaper to chuck in external filters and so on. Not sure why they ever needed an engineer though. The guy from Kelly didn't exactly do a lot once he'd done the green box line changes. We didn't need an extension running though....Cat5e to a different location :)

In ref to the comments about Cat5e - although we have the maximum speed for vDSL as we're close to the cabinet, there is zero difference according to the hub stats whether plugged in to the master socket or the extension. We also have our phone extensions run in Cat5e and it made no difference to the ADSL signal either.

Cheers. When we had an engineer install for our Infinity the old master panel was replaced with an item the same. So yes a plug in filter.
Many of the (wo)men in the OpenReach vans are not engineers, the majority are linesmen who are experts at getting a circuit from the exchange to the box on the wall in the house. I have met more than one linesman who did not know how the phones on the line worked. Not a problem as they were not required to know that for their jobs as linesmen

We also have our phone extensions run in Cat5e and it made no difference to the ADSL signal either.
I have requested info about the effect of twists per metre from a contact who was involved in research and development of test equipment in the early days of data transmission over the copper loop.

Many of the (wo)men in the OpenReach vans are not engineers, the majority are linesmen who are experts at getting a circuit from the exchange to the box on the wall in the house. I have met more than one linesman who did not know how the phones on the line worked. Not a problem as they were not required to know that for their jobs as linesmen

Never! I thought they were all degree qualified engineers driving round in those white vans. Next you'll be telling me the guys that fit sky TV aren't expert satellite engineers!

We also have our phone extensions run in Cat5e and it made no difference to the ADSL signal either.
I have requested info about the effect of twists per metre from a contact who was involved in research and development of test equipment in the early days of data transmission over the copper loop.

I think you'll find your experience can be explained by dodgy or poorly installed cat 5 = you replaced it with decent BT cable and it worked better. You (wrongly) concluded that BT cable works better than cat5.

When ADSL first came out, it was an engineer install product, and was done with fixed filtering. As the product became popular, it was decided to convert it to a self install product with microfilters and instructions. While this saves money, many people end up unable to setup their service, or end up running at speeds no where near their possible.

When VDSL FTTC came out, it was engineer install only. I wondered how long until they ditched that and went for self install :cry:

Never! I thought they were all degree qualified engineers driving round in those white vans. Next you'll be telling me the guys that fit sky TV aren't expert satellite engineers!
I did wonder where the sky engineers kept their spacesuits.

I think you'll find your experience can be explained by dodgy or poorly installed cat 5 = you replaced it with decent BT cable and it worked better. You (wrongly) concluded that BT cable works better than cat5.
The CAT5 was good quality and properly installed in the house that I personally rewired. Can't answer for the others where on my recommendation the CAT5 was replaced by CW1308.

I am still waiting for a reply from the R & D engineer.

I was a linesman in bt at the launch of adsl and do remember being told by the tefal heads at R and D that they expected cat5 to have a detrimental effect on the dslam to modem part of the line. whether this was related to the *change* in twist per inch going from one cable type to another, rather than a net increase in the number of twists per inch I'm not sure, but recent (last 10 years) field experience has shown it to be a non issue. linesmen / technicians have the advantage of seeing lots of examples daily to check if the theory is correct.

I'm reminded of.

feedback.png

Much the same applies to DSL, it's trying to push signals at frequencies that range up into the megahertz for ADSL and tens of megahertz for VDSL down a wiring system that was designed to suppport voiceband. The channels ability to carry signals at those frequencies is highly erratic and any change to the wiring can affect channel performance seemingly randomly.[/wiki]

I may be back, asking for linkies to appropriate faceplates and extensions!
I have already given one for genuine faceplate!!
OK

Finally bought the mk3 filter.

Finally got round to fitting it.

I will need some new cabling.

What cable to I need, and what plugs into what? (I'll need to plug the phone back in, and the Home Hub 5).

Thanks, in anticipation of a very simple answer (hopefully with idiot-proof links!)

BTW, I do have a long-enough length of cat5 (with RJ45(?) plugs at either end), if that will be of any use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back