No Dial Tone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bt broadband, The broadband works, but I have no dial tone on phone & if you call in you get the engaged tone. (but I have divert on busy set)
It has been reported to Bt they asked me to unplug at the master & try from there, still no dial tone, so I have an engineer coming on Sat.( dont mind the wait as do not use the phone for outgoing).
What I cant understand is that if BB works & its not diverting, I would have thought it was an exchange fault.
Any ideas out of interest.

Sponsored Links
Could be your phone - have you another one (or a modem in the PC) you can try?

Otherwise it is a BT fault - possibly at the exchange end in the voice system however, this would show in the line test they will have done while you were talking to them so probably your phone.

1 Tried different phones.
2 Why would I receive engaged, if divert is set
3 When testing BB was disconnected.

Thanks for advice though

i have had a faulty filter on a phone before now which allowed broadband but no phone

i had to remove all filters to find the problem removed all 3 the reintroduced them one at a time and when the third [faulty one] was in the circuit no phone

so remove all your filters from all sockets and see what happens :D ;)

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
i have had a faulty filter on a phone before now which allowed broadband but no phone

i had to remove all filters to find the problem removed all 3 the reintroduced them one at a time and when the third [faulty one] was in the circuit no phone

so remove all your filters from all sockets and see what happens :D ;)

Big-all, If I have unpluged at the master socket, ie undone the 2 screws from the bt master & pulled the front plate off, I have efffectivly disconnected all other wiring in the property. This is what I was asked to do. I then plug a telephone into the socket which is the line in from outside property. There is no dial tone there.

seems funny to me the line is complete because the internet is working but not complete for the phone!!!!!!!!!
i thought the only thing that seperates the phone from the internet was the filters :cry: :cry: :cry: :rolleyes:

Pretty sure i've read that broadband only uses 1 wire so with one wire, of the two, damaged you wil get no phone but broadband ok

i would have thought it would have used 2, upload and download.

Both use the same copper pair from the exchange and if one wire is disconnected neither voice or broadband would work. The difference is the frequencies used which is why you use a filter (not absolutely necessary but improves the signal - our broadband works without a filter).

Exchance and line faults they can diagnose remotely so they think the fault is at your end - may be the NTE (master socket) that is faulty can you still recieve calls or does the caller gat number unobtainable?

Daft Question do you have the filter/s pluged in and at the right locations?

I'm certainly no expert in this but hope this helps...

We had this problem and took three visits from an engineer to sort. We also had this problem when people called in, the tinternet disconected.

Final engineer pitched up and said "I'll be back" and sat in the green box down the road for an hour and half.

He commented that all the connectors in the box had serious corrosion and were suffering moisture damage and ours needed a "good old clean". After that no probs and is A1.

He said that the line test down via phone only needs a conection for it to come back as OK, it doesnt test line quality which has an effect on the operation of BB....aparently

Both telephone & bb were working all ok.
We have had no building work carried out.
No wiring has been disturbed
Filters if in or out have not been touched & as I have stated all was disconnected at the master socket.
Incoming calls get engaged..WHY..When I have divert to message WHEN engaged.
THAT IS WHY I BELEIVE ITS AN EXCHANGE FAULT.

Probably best you do get BT in. I Believe they're reponsible for everything to the master socket so should be free. Was for me, he even checked my extensions which was kind of him.

I always believed broadband and voice were on different frequencies so if you have broadband then voice should be there too providing the micro filter works, if not you'll still get voice but will be rubbish quality. The filter is the obvious thing to check. And for 5 pound i would buy a new one and stick it on my master socket to test.

Will be fun for the BT guy to work out the prob! Let us know how he fixes it! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back