Broadband extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to install a telephone line extension to our new garden room.
I heard someone say ring bt and get a broadband extension line put in ???? Anyone know what this is or can i put a normal telephone extension bearing in mind the bt socket is currently feeding the sky box, downstairs phone and upstairs extension.
plus what exterior cabling should i use

Sponsored Links
Do you use or need ADSL broadband over your telephone line? If not, then just about any type of telephone cable can be used to run to an ordinary extension socket.

There are 4, 6 or 8 wire cables available. A standard telephone socket only really needs 3 wires.

If you do use ADSL, then you will need to fit a filter on the new socket, or fit a socket incorporating a filter. Multiple telephone sockets are probably best 'daisy chained' one after the other instead of wired in a 'star' from one central point to reduce unwanted ADSL signal reflections, which can limit connection speed.

There are higher specification cables available (eg Cat 5), which may give better results if you are using ADSL, but the system is designed to use ordinary telephone cabling.

If wiring is to run outside it may be better (but not essential) to use black or brown sheathed cable, as this is less susceptible to degradation from UV light (direct sunlight), and may blend in better with your walls.

You could install this yourself or ask BT etc. to install a new extension socket for you. The basic socket wiring is the same wether you use ADSL or not.

There is a limit to the number of telephones, modems etc. that can be installed on a standard line. Each device has a REN number, usually marked on it. Sometimes it's very low eg. 0.1, or it may be as high as 3. The total of all the REN numbers connected should not exceed 4.

The person who has told you that is getting confused.

BT can supply you a 'leased line' which, depending on distance (can be miles) will be a direct copper path between two locations. There is a setup cost, and then you pay monthly - the same amount as a normal business line. Used mainly to provide an extension off a PBX to a remote location - becoming less popular with the advent of ISDN services and VOIP.

You can also have featureline which establishes virtual extensions at different locations. You then need to dial 9 for an outside line, but can telephone from one extension to the other using a virtual extension number - 20, 21 etc. Again, business tarrifs apply, and the cost is per extension.

Best to run an extension of your own!!!

skybluescooby said:
I heard someone say ring bt and get a broadband extension line put in ????
Why is it that all the nonsensical questions incorporate this little gem?

If you heard someone say something that you didn't understand then why didn't you ask that person what they meant? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
What's the reason behind using 6 core's for phone extentions?

The last two house's I was at sorting out broadband had 6 core cable used in the house with all the 6 cores connected at each of the face plates.

If u only need 3, what is the point in using the other 3?

Darkness said:
If u only need 3, what is the point in using the other 3?

From what I've been reading on broadband forums, only 2 wires are required for extensions.
Positions 1&6 have never been used in the UK
Positions 3&4 'are the old ring wires which are no longer required ......'

From info here on wiring up extensions for broadband use:
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html

So unless someone knows better???

actualy its 2 & 5 for the line, 3 is used for the ringer
The master socket has a capacitor in it to make the phone ring, extra sockets have no capacitor (slave socket) so they need terminal connected.

but you can add another master scoket, so you only need 2 & 5

multi core cables are used in case any one core goes down (gives up)
since the cost of making a 2 core or 4 core has little difference

Softus said:
If you heard someone say something that you didn't understand then why didn't you ask that person what they meant? :rolleyes:

Probably because the answer confused the hell out of me and rather face the next half hour being bored rigid i made my excuses and left. Softus, go pull yourself a pint, its on the house

To the OP, get down B&Q, pick up one of their overpriced extension kits in that awful flat 4-core wire, and stickyback it to the walls or lay it under the carpets. I have some, it works perfectly well for broadband and phone. Our telephone system is far superior to many in the world, and can cope with these flimsy wires. And my broadband router is showing attainable line rate of 9MBPS over this flimsy wire. ;)

Broadband signals will actually survive where bad joints mean phone signals are lost. They are more robust signals.

crafty1289 said:
Broadband signals will actually survive where bad joints mean phone signals are lost. They are more robust signals.
there are things that will kill broadband and not phone and things that will kill phone and not broadband, that doesn't make broadband more robust than phone.

the best way to do broadband is to use a filter at the master socket and route the phone and dsl completely seperately, for the DSL signal and use BT spec cable as discontinuities in the cable type are bad for high frequency signaling. Also you shouldn't connect the unfiltered side ringer wire to anything!

whether you will need to do this depends on the speed of broadband you are using and the quality of BTs part of the line, most people will get away with seperate filters run off a random arrangement of unfiltered cable with the unfiltered ringer wire connected but some will not!

slider45 said:

LOL - The BT style plug is a BT only plug, and only used in the UK - no where else ;)

Terminala 1 & 6 are commonly used on PBX systems (UK manufacturers) for the digital data streams to operate the keyphones (the LCD display, line buttons etc).

hi all i just use a cheap extension wire for my broad band conection . we had a problem with phone line at exchange one wire was broken broadband worked on one wire but the bt phone wouldnt . but luckly we use voip iinternet phone so we still had phone and internet on one wire. so i dont think you need exspensive cables

Lectrician said:
slider45 said:

LOL - The BT style plug is a BT only plug, and only used in the UK - no where else ;)
wrong, it was used in hong-kong at one stage (on new installs they now use american style RJ connectors).

An alternative that saves laying new wiring would be to get a combined broadband ADSL modem and wireless router (you can pick them up from around £50 these days) and a wireless card for your PC/laptop.

It's a more expensive solution, but it does mean that you can site the computer anywhere in the house and connect to broadband, without running any additional cables. If you've got a wireless laptop, you can even sit in the garden and use it on a nice day :)

I know it's not exactly what you asked, but just thought I'd post the idea as it's much easier.

not had much luck with wireless myself, it worked fine for browsing the web but anything that held a persistant connection (irc, im networks etc) was constantly getting disconnected and having to reconnect.

siting your router near where the phone line comes in makes sense, but you are much better off using good old cat5 to distribute the connection from there at least for your main computers (occasional use laptops may be a different matter)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back