broadband not working at new extension

Thanks for all the help by everyone. This is much appreciated. As promised, here are some pics:
92237-6674d9035faec1466f6425d9d044b91a.jpg

I think I have the "modern" socket as my master.

When I unscrew the front, here's where my extension is current wired in:
92238-305f6d755a63328ce70ad4255542c336.jpg

and here's the wires and the associated terminals. They correspond to the wiring at the extension.
92239-66dba3493ccc8e089d77b379d4487595.jpg

I think the above is where my issue resides from what I have understood. As I said, the above configuration allows the phone to operate at the extension socket but not the broadband (via microfilter). Is this because I have connected to the filtered section of the master socket?

Again,if I have understood you correctly, I think you are suggesting that I connect my extension into here (where my thumb is) instead of where it is at the moment:
92240-80bfd9306e0085938fd5245c82ad2433.jpg

Is this correct?

Also a few other questions:
- I understand that I should be using the blue and blue & white cables for the A and B terminals. does it matter which goes where and also which goes where on the extension socket? I am concious that the extension has numbers as opposed to the A and B terminals

- With this type of master socket, is it not possible to have a single wire delivering broadband and telephone service? As I have a 4 core cable, it sounds as though I will need to lay another cable and connect it as it is at the moment and then install a new telephone socket. Is this correct?

- The previous contributor suggested an RJ11 port instead of the telephone. Presumably this omits the need for the telephone socket and microfilter? Is the wiring of this any different to the telephone socket?

Once again, thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• WP_20160124_001.jpg
    WP_20160124_001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 102
  • WP_20160124_002.jpg
    WP_20160124_002.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 125
  • WP_20160124_004.jpg
    WP_20160124_004.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 104
  • WP_20160124_005.jpg
    WP_20160124_005.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
It's probably just me, but there's one thing I'm not certain about from what you have said ... do I take it that your wish is to plug the broadband modem/hub into the extension socket instead of the master one?

Kind Regards, John

Exactly right John. I want to relocate the router to where the extension socket is.

Exactly right John. I want to relocate the router to where the extension socket is.
Thanks for confirming. I only asked because I recently came across someone who had tried to do something different from that (which was never going to work), and wondered why it didn't work!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes you are correct.

Connect to A & B where your thumb is.

Yes it does matter which way round.
Oddly
white/blue to A
blue/white to B

You should be able to plug a phone into your extension.

If it's an old phone it may not ring, if this is the case, connect the orange wire to pin 3 (as it is now) (it might slow your BB down slightly)

Brill!
Which numbers on the extension socket end should these wires then go to?

Oh ok. Sorry for the incessant questions. What purpose is orange wire serving on the extension end if I've only got two terminals (a and b) connected on master?

If it's an old phone it may not ring, if this is the case, connect the orange wire to pin 3 (as it is now) (it might slow your BB down slightly)
No.

If you fit a standard socket at the end, it will need a microfilter, the microfiler provides the ring current for any phone. The phone would need a filter and not be plugged in directly. There is no point taking the term3 ringer from the master as the microfilter only picks up term 2/5 from the socket anyway - If you look at a plug, it usually only has the two pins populated.

1453648477.png

If you only have a 2 pair cable, you could fit a dual outlet plate:
flush-wall-mounted-adsl-filter-and-phone-socket-jj010-2.jpg

If you have a 3 pair cable, you can use one pair for the DSL and the other two for the phone.

Last edited:
Please make sure you are using a proper punchdown tool, do not force the wires in with a screwdriver!

A 3-pair cable with separate BT431A and RJ-11 configuration jacks for telephone & modem respectively at the new location is by far the best option in your situation where you already have a filter at the master jack.

Use the blue/white & orange/white pairs to connect from the appropriate terminals at the master to the telephone jack on the extension in the usual way:

2 - Blue/white - 2
3 - Orange/white - 3
5 - White/blue - 5

Then use the green/white pair to connect from the unfiltered terminals to the DSL modem jack:

A - White/green - 4
B - Green/white - 3

If you have only 2-pair cable and don't want to re-run with 3-pair, then a double jack in which the telephone side is a master would ensure that any telephone plugged into it will ring. In this case use the blue/white pair to the telephone jack:

2 - Blue/white - 2
5 - White/blue - 5

And the orange/white pair for your modem jack:

A - White/orange - 4
B - Orange/white - 3

Using a second master at the telephone extension isn't ideal, but unless you are still using any pulse-dial telephones unlikely to cause any problems.

Too late now, but the best option is to move the master socket to the new location and not have any extensions at all.

Never thought about it till now, years ago before broadband, I put extensions in and simply linked 2 3 and 5 from the front bit of the master to the extensions, when I got the sky router thingy I just plugged into the first of these extension.
Reading this thread it all seems wrong, although working will it improve if i alter it, if so whats the best course of action, im sure i used larger than two pair between boxes cable and will need to use a phone at the extensions after the broadband extension, which is the first extension after the master.

A 3-pair cable with separate BT431A and RJ-11 configuration jacks for telephone & modem respectively at the new location is by far the best option in your situation where you already have a filter at the master jack.

Use the blue/white & orange/white pairs to connect from the appropriate terminals at the master to the telephone jack on the extension in the usual way:

2 - Blue/white - 2
3 - Orange/white - 3
5 - White/blue - 5

Then use the green/white pair to connect from the unfiltered terminals to the DSL modem jack:

A - White/green - 4
B - Green/white - 3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back