broadband not working at new extension

Never thought about it till now, years ago before broadband, I put extensions in and simply linked 2 3 and 5 from the front bit of the master to the extensions, when I got the sky router thingy I just plugged into the first of these extension.
Did you have microfilters anywhere?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It works fine on the older 2 part versions of the master socket as the customer terminals are unfiltered.

It works fine on the older 2 part versions of the master socket as the customer terminals are unfiltered.
It is a 2 part and quite old.

Think so john, I assume there the white little boxes, i was told to use 1 on each phone, never really knew why

I assume there the white little boxes, i was told to use 1 on each phone, never really knew why
Microfilters: Plug into the jack, then you have two jacks, one filtered for your telephone equipment and one unfiltered for the DSL modem.

The idea is that the modem must connect directly to the incoming line but that all telephones (including answering machine, fax etc.) have to go through filters. The best option is to install one filter and have all the telephone equipment connected to that single filter. The other option, not so good, is to use a microfilter at each and every location at which you use a telephone.

If you have the older-style NTE then by far the best option is to replace the existing lower connection plate with a filter designed to plug straight in in its place. For example:

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

On this filter you then have two sets of terminals for filtered line (to your telephones) and unfiltered line (to your modem). If the modem is being connected at the master location, then you can just use the jack provided there and run regular telephone extension wiring to your other locations.

If you want the modem elsewhere, then you want to run a dedicated pair from the A & B terminals on the filter to the modem jack. Keep the telephone wiring completely separate on different pairs. You also want to avoid the situation in which the DSL pair goes to a jack into which the modem is connected but then continues on elsewhere. This is what you have at the moment (with multiple filters) by having it plugged into the first extension jack. The extra wiring beyond the point at which the modem is connected creates a bridge tap which can cause signal degradation.

How important this is in terms of affecting performance depends on a good many factors. If you're close to the exchange with good signal levels then the small amount of degradation which can result from using multiple microfilters (which, in general, are of lower quality), having bridge taps, etc. probably won't make a significant enough difference to be worth worrying about. If, on the other hand, you're at the end of 5 miles of wire with lower signal levels, as I used to be, the difference such things can make can be quite significant.

Another problem with the use of multiple microfilters and the unfiltered line run to every jack is that if you forget about the filter sometime and plug a telephone directly into the unfiltered line, you risk causing your broadband connection to drop.

And don't use Cat-5 or higher wiring for the DSL wiring. It doesn't increase speed, and may actually cause a degradation of the signal in some cases (again, depending upon several factors as to whether it would make a significant difference in your particular circumstances).

Sponsored Links
Thanks, right, so I get that bottom bit for my existing master, then use one unfiltered pair to the first extension and stop there for my modem,
Use another two pairs from my new master filtered output, to the first extension and on to the others for the phone .
i assume the existing slaves I can keep, but im quessing I change the first extension box to a two outlet job.
I take it I can then do away with the plug in filters

Right on all counts.

If you don't use the telephone jack at the NTE, you could also substitute a blank connection plate there and connect a single pair to your first extension location, at which point you would fit a dual outlet with integral filter, like this: http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php

Then you continue from there to your other telephone extensions in the usual way.

I do use the first phone point so i assume thats the NTE, so i change that for the filter bit you showed earlier, therefore for my first extension i assume i need an unfiltered version of this

XTF-header.jpg

I do use the first phone point so i assume thats the NTE,
Yes, the NTE (Network Terminating Equipment) is the demarcation point between BT's wiring and your internal wiring. The older two-part unit is an NTE-5, looking like this:

nte5.jpg

so i change that for the filter bit you showed earlier,
Yes, the filter I linked to earlier (or another brand like it) just plugs in in place of the original lower panel. Then on the back you have the usual numbered connections 2, 3, 4, 5 for telephone wiring, and the unfiltered line on A & B.

therefore for my first extension i assume i need an unfiltered version of this
Yes, just two completely separate jacks, no filters or other components needed there. Run the blue/white & orange/white pairs in the usual way from the numbered terminals to the telephone jack, and continue on to your other telephone extensions from there. Use the green/white pair from the A & B terminals to the other jack for your modem, and they go no further.

I think the main idea with these filters on master sockets, is to connect the router at this point.
Then filters are then unnecessary downstream.

I think the main idea with these filters on master sockets, is to connect the router at this point. Then filters are then unnecessary downstream.
That's true. However, as has been said, one can also extend the unfiltered feed to a modem/router-only outlet, with all telephone (etc.) sockets fed from the filtered feed from the master socket..

Kind Regards, John

Microfilters were developed to enable the product to be sold as "self install".

When ADSL first came out, it was an engineer installed service, via the NTE master filter.
As it became popular, they moved over to self install and microfilters, knowing that a small percentage of installs would not work and would need an engineer visit after the customer pulled their hair out trying to get it working. This small percentage was deemed acceptable to save the costs of an engineer for each install.

Exactly the same happened with VDSL infinity - This is now sold as self install with microfilters when it was intended to be engineer install only.

People also don't want to be waiting at home for an engineer visit.

I like the way the EE router and packaging is designed to fit through a letter box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back