Back boiler, doin me ead in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
into cylinder in 10mm pipes, this goes off to a airjec, seperate from existing vent, banging pipes full of air,vent rads all ok , 10 mins later, immediately drawing in air, banging again, I know it`s bad pipework config, it wasn`t doing it 12 months ago, but then again it has been drained recently. I`m a plumber and so-so heating engineer. Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
well you`re in the right city ;) and honest too. can you post a drawing or photo...I know I can`t :oops:

Not realy cos I haven`t a clue how to. I imagine I need to move the cold feed possibly tie it into vent from BBU. There must have been probs before because there is a second vent in 10mm coming off flow where it enters cylinder this goes to airjec then up to f&e tank, thought it was strange having two vents. Would anyone agree about moving cold feed? pump is downstairs in fekkin fireplace, that`s handy. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
check pump/bleed pump and check speed setting

some wally`s seem to always leave them on 3 no matter the system

It`s been fine for yonks, just started being a pain,pump is fine it`s drawing in air somehow that`s why i mentioned repositioning cold feed.

Is pump on the flow or return , connecting a cold feed & vent together is o.k provided you have a high limit stat on boiler ??

The criteria I would always apply , before combining a cold feed & vent , is has the boiler got a high limit stat .
In an overheat (fault ) situation , boiling water / pressure is relieved via the open vent pipe , the coldfeed stops (in theory ) the boiler boiling dry , with a combined cold feed & vent e.g 1 pipe this is unlikely to happen , there fore a high limit stat / over heat stat , shuts boiler down .

No , depends on age of boiler , alot of the older boilers did not have overheat stats , older Baxi back boilers for example .
So you might be advised to check this out ?? some boiler manuf ' used to supply overheat kits for there boilers so as they could be used on sealed systems off the top of my head , Halstead Bentleys was one e.c .t .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back