Back Boiler Nightmare!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a back boiler for my hot water and c/heating. What I am confused about is currently I have no hot water upstairs. This is because when I moved into the property the previous person didnt use the hot water upstairs and there is a instantaneous water heater in the kitchen which provides hot water to the kitchen. I would like to get the hot water working upstairs. I have a cold water tank in the loft and a tank in my airing cupboard. How does the tank in the airing cupboard work? It may sound stupid but does it fill with water that is heated by the back boiler or is it to be used as an immersion tank? I've been told I need to disconnect the instantaneous heater in the kitchen and turn a pipe on under my stairs which should then send the water flow upstairs and I can then use the hot water. I know the hot water works upstairs as when I press the hot water timer button it works but what I dont know is, is it heating the water that has been sat in the tank in the airing cupboard for years or is it heating fresh water? and if it is heating the water in the tank, i'm concerned that without sending the flow upstairs by turning the tap under the stairs it may run dry. The tap is currently ceased up so thats another problem to tackle. It seems to have confused two plumbers that I have had round. My last resort is to contact some previous owners who I beleive installed the system and still live close by.

Sponsored Links
If its confusing people who can actually look at and see what pipes are connected and what are not.
Then it would be silly to take any advice given here by people who would only be guessing.

first things first.
you have a back boiler with an open flue and presumably a fire, and it does not work properly
get a good heating engineer to service it and check it out completely.
these things can become very dangerous when neglected

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back