back boiler roaring and radiators boiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I had my back boiler serviced by british gas one months ago - no probs detected. took a long time and cleaned thoroughly - thought they did a good job. this morning woke up to the boiler absolutely roaring loud. Pretty scarey. Radiators too hot to touch. the thermostat seems to be working fine - set at 20 degrees. Any ideas what this might be?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the boiler thermostat has a problem, not knowing your system...can you adjust the dial on the boiler? Does it do anything?

Sponsored Links
Baxi by any chance? , thermastat phial can damage easily on these upon removal from , if the phial is tight in the pocket upon removal this can damage the stat , not the engineers fault just one of those things , so don't go blaming anyone. ;)

Gaswizard, are you saying it is OK for the engineer to leave the stat in that state then? The 'engineer' must have 10 thumbs and brain full of beans not to know the stat got blutered when he removed it, Surely any sane person would run the boiler in HW mode and CHECK STAT OK

Gaswizard, are you saying it is OK for the engineer to leave the stat in that state then? The 'engineer' must have 10 thumbs and brain full of beans not to know the stat got blutered when he removed it, Surely any sane person would run the boiler in HW mode and CHECK STAT OK

So DP , are you telling me you sit with the boiler until it reaches temp? , I've been installing/servicing these for 30 odd years , the combustion cover has to be fitted before the phial can be inserted into the pocket , sometimes the hole in cover does not alighn to the stat pocket in hex which in turn makes for a tight fit to replace phial , on the next service the phial has to be removed and the only way to remove is to pull on the stat wire , easily damaged and not visiable to the eye , had one last week wherby it snapped due to being tight and In doing so had to fit a replacement , been called back a week later on another one of these with an overheat problem , pulled stat out and it snapped , the other issue being the tight radius when clipping the stat into fixing clip on front cover.

Gasswizzard wrote

So DP , are you telling me you sit with the boiler until it reaches temp?

Yes, I do. In HW mode it only takes a few moments. Stat on 1 setting will soon show if the capillary pipe has leaked.

Be assured other points you raise about phial being stuck, offset etc, I do agree with you, but I prefer to check the stat as indicated above

Guys, all your points are valid, but the op said it was serviced A MONTH ago. You would expect a damage TS to be immediately obvious.

OP, the stat is the first point of call here, but it may be simply coincidental that your boiler wasn't serviced recently. It is worth checkig to make sure that someone (kids) hasn't inadvertenly turned stat to maximum

All above points are valid,my first thoughts on hearing of a roaring bbu are a cracked burner,leading to the gas burning inside the burner.
You definitely need to call BG back to check it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back