Back flow problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wouldn't mind any advice out there re. the following:

1. The attached image (which I'm hoping the Administrator may be able to attach shortly) shows the pipework under my sink. The flexihose to the right is the dishwasher waste.

Over the last few weeks, we've noticed the bottom of the dishwasher filling up when we run water in the sink. Clearly, the sink waste is finding its way along the flexihose, even though the sink plumbing is clear.

I'm guessing that my options are either:

(a) lengthen the sink 'U' shank, so that there is greater downward pressure and less likelihood of backflush,

or

(b) cut into the grey pipe to the left lower down, to circumvent issue (although this pipework seems of a more 'fixed' nature)

Any other ideas welcomed.

2. Any clues why we should only have had this problem now when we've had no problems over the last 5 years?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Mikomotor said:
1. The attached image (which I'm hoping the Administrator may be able to attach shortly) shows the pipework under my sink. The flexihose to the right is the dishwasher waste.
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm expecting to see that your dishwasher waste hose doesn't rise to the height of the top of the appliance before dropping down to the point where it connects to the sink waste.

Over the last few weeks, we've noticed the bottom of the dishwasher filling up when we run water in the sink. Clearly, the sink waste is finding its way along the flexihose, even though the sink plumbing is clear.
Can you explain why you think the sink plumbing is clear?

2. Any clues why we should only have had this problem now when we've had no problems over the last 5 years?
Because you have a partial blockage in the sink waste, either in the pipework or at the gully that it drains into, or both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back