Back to wiring a cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again guys

Re. my post a few days ago about Whirlpool/Ikea and connecting a cooker and hob to 13 amp sockets...

Well I've binned that idea. I've settled on a Zanussi ZEL63 hob and ZBF360 oven. Their maximum power ratings are 6.27kW and 2.15kW respectively. Therefore the combined current load would be 36.6 amps.

The current cooker (standalone unit) is rated at 9.8/10.2kW and is connected via 6mm2 cabling to a 32amp RCD in the consumer unit. Although the maximum current would be 42.6 amps, I'm assuming the electrician has taken into account diversity and come out with a figure of (10A+30x32.6/100+5A) 25 amps.

SO (after all that) my question is can I replace the current cooker with the oven and hob and connect them to the same cooker control unit? (i.e. is the current installation safe!)

After reading other posts I assume that I would make the oven connection via a 13amp FSU from the CCU? (Using 6mm cable for all of the connections)

If the answer is no I think I'll just buy a microwave oven...:)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
sounds ok
yes you should use a fcu or socket for the oven (you could just plug it into the socket on the cooker control unit)

Sorry Plugwash..if you're still there...

I use 6mm cable from the CCU to the FCU. But then from the 13amp FCU to the Oven do I use 6mm or 2.5mm cable. It's just from memory the FCU only has a cut out for 2.5mm.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
if you were able to connect a fcu to the ccu you would have to use 6mm cable.

you can not spur from a ccu using 2.5 cable when as you will have it has a 40A+ fuse

Sorry Breezer it's just me being dumb but...

you say "if you were able"...Is it ok so long as I use 6mm cable throughout? The oven only requires a 13amp supply, but I take it that it will only draw what it needs to anyway? So as long as I use a 13amp fused connection unit between the CCU and the oven it will be correctly fused?

I think I confused myself regarding the cutout for 2.5mm cable. I suppose the cable between FCU and oven just comes out the wall. :oops:

erm his cuircuit only has a 30A fuse and isn't really suitable for anything more

but still i would strongly advise CCU-FCU 6mm
FCU-OVEN 2.5mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back