electric cooker,gass hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a new single electric oven and gas hob(with electric ignition). I have a 32 amp fuse in the consumer unit with 6mill twin and earth running to a dp cooker connecting switch with a 13amp socket built in and then onto a cooker connecting unit behind where the oven goes. Both the oven and hob come with a plug rated at 13amps attached, the oven is 2400kwh. Is it safe to change the cooker connecting unit to a standard double socket outlet so i can just plug both in. does the 6mill cable mean there will be to much current going into the socket? :confused:

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
finallly its not a problem in this specific case but you aren't supposed to draw more than 13A total through a double socket

what about 2 single sockets instead?

if you can get 2x6mm into a single socket then fine but that WILL be tight

i guess using a 2.5mm to link the sockets would be just about ok (no worse than a ring spur) but it would still be nasty to fit

id still advise him to go for the converter socket though for the simple reason its easy to UNDO if someone wants to use the cuircuit for its original perpose.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help, the socket converter sounds a good idea, I shall do that tommorow. :LOL:

Interesting stuff - is it me or electric cookers now seem to have a lot lower rating than they used too? I've just purchased one that has a max rating of 2.07kW - so the existing circuit with 32A breaker is a bit excessive! Having looked in the back of the cupboards theres a connection unit (unfused) which I'm considering replacing with an FCU and 13A fuse to "protect" the appliance - and also running 2.5mm cable from FCu to cooker rather than the existing 6mm cable which seems excessive for 2 kW. Supply to FCU will be the existing cable - 6mm. Any problems with this?

Thanks in advance

yep its fine to do that or to use a plug and socket at the end of the day a cooker cuircuit is just a run of cable with a switch and possiblly a socket in it its not anything strange.

most single ovens come with a cable and sometimes a plug already fitted.

single ovens (with the exception of some self cleaning ones) are almost always 3KW or less its double ovens and hobs that draw lots of power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back