single oven and ceramic hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just purchased a neff 1422 single oven 2.7kw and a cda ceramic hob 6,800w i have a exsisting cooker 40amp radial cicuit to a cooker control unit with 45amp dp switch and 13amp socket. my questio is can i plug the neff single oven into the 13amp socket and connect the hob to the cooker switch?

Sponsored Links
The hob could draw 6800/230 = 29.6amps

The single oven could draw 2700/230 = 11.7amps

Total possible load = 41.3 amp.

This is bad design as the protective device is only rated at 40amps and your design current exceeds this value.

RMS - You have not explored the possibility of diversity.

These appliances will cycle, too.

The answer to your question is "yes" though I don't like sockets on cooker switches.

Sponsored Links
Fair comment,

just don't like the idea of the single oven connected into the socket as both appliances will be used together frequently.

As they would be if you connected both to the cooker circuit. Look at a single oven & hob as a total load < most freestanding cookers.

If you're curious, connect a clamp-on to the cooker cable next time it's in use & see what the loading is.

I don't usually approve of the diversity rules for cooking appliances, on the grounds that, come Christmas day, you will have everything on at once.

However, in this case, the max demand is so close to the MCB rating that I wouldn't be concerned. And it can only take max demand for a short time, while all elements are coming to temp.

I am running a 9,5 shower on a 40A Hager breaker & regularly have it on in xs of 30 mins. Never tripped yet. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back