13 amp spur for oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am replacing an old double electric oven with a slightly smaller single oven. The old one was hard wired using 40amp cable to a switch box in an adjoining cupboard. The new oven appears to come with a 13 amp cable (without plug). I am assuming this new oven will need to be fused at 13amp so I’m thinking of running a new spur from existing 40amp switch box in adjoining cupboard to a new 13amp plug socket below and wire a 13amp plug on to the new oven cable. (The 40amp switch box will be used to connect up a new ceramic hob). Question is: what sort of cable do I need to run from my 40amp switch box down to new 13amp plug socket below?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
How is the cable being run from the Switch? What MCB size is it on? Why not just use a Fused connection unit? Do you know the Wattage of the Oven? I should think a plug could be used what is this 13A cable attached to the oven 2.5mm Braided or similar?

@Keith650 you don’t need a separate new circuit. You can run the oven and the hob from the same circuit.

a new circuit will require notification to the local authority via a registered electrician. Not needed anyway.

PS. This seems to be the same project as your other topic re a hob. Would have been better to have them together as one topic. You are going to get conflicting advice now, just watch!

Thanks for your reply Taylor. It wasn’t t my intention to confuse but I thought it might be easier to separate the two and treat them as separate appliances. I do find that sometimes with these forums, people often answer questions you didn’t ask rather than the ones you did, if you get my drift.
Anyway, maybe I will delete my other post and keep the both under this one.
The situation is: I’ve removed the old double-oven and old ceramic hob which were both hard wired in to one switch box, each with its own 40amp cable. Each of these 40amp cables were three core (L,N,E). The switch box is inside the next base cabinet under worktop and the two 40amp cables were fed thru to the appliances from there. I detached the old hob and oven at the appliance end and left the two 40 amp cables in place (switched off and heavily taped up for now), hoping I could simply connect them up to my new appliances. Now I see that the new ceramic hob has its own heavy duty cable attached but this has four wires (not three like the old one) and the oven has a 13amp cable which would seem to render the second 40amp cable still in situ redundant. So now I’m wondering if the new four-wire hob can be connected up to the existing three-wire 40amp switch box, replacing one of the old 40amp cables which I’d been hoping to re-use. Also wondering if I now need a spur off the 40amp switch box to cater for the 13amp cable from new oven .
Confused.com, lol

Sponsored Links
What is this switch box? Just a box with a switch on it? If so, remove the existing cables and just connect your two appliances.

Need a picture if it’s more complicated wiring wise than that.

Need sight of wiring instructions for the hob. Obviously there’s an earth connection, and that leaves three. Sometimes the hobs can be connected to multi phase supplies, but Smeg instructions are usually good.

5DFD32EA-1635-4716-9B8D-1FEC127E082D.jpeg
6C11A210-4753-4E65-B583-317D87CB9552.jpeg
When I say “switch box” I mean like a circuit breaker switch which is located in one of the base units next along from the oven housing. I believe the mains 40amp cabling runs into it from the consumer unit and then the two old appliances were in turn connected to that via two 40amp cables, one for the old hob and one for the old double oven. As I mentioned, I disconnected the old appliances at the appliance end, so their cables are still attached to the switch which is off and the cables all taped up.

9EE30062-18B0-4726-8321-3068FE04738B.jpeg
7C1370D3-31C2-4208-A042-26064F7FAB13.jpeg
067B8C6B-34C0-4E4C-85EE-5BA9C4E35F42.jpeg
Here are some more photos to do with wiring hob (it has four burners but not induction). Hope helpful.

Ok. Just a switch then, and not a breaker. Just connect the hob and oven to the switch, power off at the consumer unit, remove the old cables.

just need to see the installation instructions for the hob.....

EDIT

Looks clear to me. Black and brown together are the live, blue is neutral. Gn/yell is earth.

Did you mean the electrical installation or the physical installation - or both ?

Hello, just to say, thanks for your advice. Just one last question: when you say to remove the old cables and just connect the new oven and hob to the switch.... what about the 13amp wiring that comes with the new oven going directly to the 40amp switch. Don’t I need to fuse it at 13amp somehow? Keith

Usually I find ovens rated at 13A come with a plug already fitted by the manufacturer. AFAIK this is a legal requirement put upon them in the UK. Those that don't have a plug fitted are often rated at 16A, so over the rating of a standard UK plug. The oven manual / rating plate will tell you. I've just installed two Siemens ovens that were like this.

4845A6C0-64CD-419F-A8D8-839458B1EB19.jpeg
Hi Stem, the new oven is a Smeg single oven, the old one was a Stoves double oven. I attach a photo of the wires and à notice from the new Smeg oven. Keith

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back