oven connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my De Dietrich built-in pyrolitic fan oven with a Miele H340-BP pyrolitic fan oven. I find that the old oven has a 13amp plug on the end of its cable, plugged into a socket in one of the cupboards, which in turn is wired (buried) to a Crabtree cooker switch on the wall and that in turn to a dedicated cooker circuit breaker in the consumer unit.

The new oven is marked " do not connect to a standard 13 amp plug".

Can I replace the existing 13 amp socket with a junction box and wire the oven into that or do I need to wire it directly into the cooker switch box, which unfortunately means ripping off tiles to do so?

Sponsored Links
if i read what you say as "the socket goes to the main electric cooker switch"

then you should dissconect the cable to the socket as it is VERY DANGEROUS this is because the cooker has either a 6 or 10mm cable and a 40 - 45 amp fuse, the socket will only have a 2.5mm cable going to it. if there is a fault this cable will cause a fire as it can not carry as much current as is needed to blow the fuse.

so the only option you now have left is to wire the new appliance back to the consumers unit via a switched spur and you should wire it to its own fuse /mcb, but if you use 2.5mm cable you can put it on with the exisiting ring for the sockets that are in the kitchen.

Oh - you never know - he might be lucky - whoever put that in might have used 6 or 10mm cable from the cooker switch to the socket.... :confused:

OOI - provided the cable is up to it, and ignoring the fuse in the plug, how much current can a "13A" socket and plug safely handle? Best case - nice springy clean contacts and clean prongs.

(Just curious - I'm not planning anything bizarre ;) )

Sponsored Links
Thanks, guys.
I think I will get a professional electrician in to check it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back