Backing Paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering the idea of papering the bathroom wall and wonder if there's a type of backing paper to help with damp and condensation. Vinyl and pvc wallpapers look and feel nasty so i'd need something to help prevent mould and damp problems.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend painting the walls with waterbased eggshell.

If you are getting high levels of condensation, you need to increase airflow.

I would recommend painting the walls with waterbased eggshell.

If you are getting high levels of condensation, you need to increase airflow.
The walls are already painted in Wilko's bathroom paint, but i'd like to decorate with wallpaper to compliment the new tile surround around the shower/bath.

AFAIK, there is nothing that you can put under a regular paper that will stop it from absorbing the moisture in the room. You might be able to paint the wallpaper with a clear waterbased varnish but you risk activating the wallpaper paste.

Not all vinyl wallpapers look cheap. The following company sells vinyl paper at up to £370 per roll.

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, there is nothing that you can put under a regular paper that will stop it from absorbing the moisture in the room. You might be able to paint the wallpaper with a clear waterbased varnish but you risk activating the wallpaper paste.

Not all vinyl wallpapers look cheap. The following company sells vinyl paper at up to £370 per roll.

Yeah, i had a feeling that would be the case, so i'd have to put a thick backing paper over the wall and carefully consider where to do it. The big problem area is around the window where condensation is most excessive, especially in winter but tiling so far up the wall throws the decorating scheme out-of-whack. It'd be simpler to paper round the window but subject to damage from damp.
Thanks for the link, bookmarked for later, when i have time to scope out what i can't afford...which is generally the paper i'd like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back