Bacon!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new hobby for me - making bacon! I got the idea from another forum I frequent. Basically, you go and buy a nice bit of pig, in this case a bit of pork loin. Cure it in the fridge using a curing mix and....well, that's it really! Tastes so much better than shop bought and no 'white stuff' either.

From this:

IMG_0781.JPG

To this in 6 days.

IMG_0800.JPG

Could do with a better food slicer though - sort of hacked at it with a serrated bread slicer blade when you really need a solid blade.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but that's a bit too big for what I need!

I've ordered this one as it has a solid blade and it should be here today or tomorrow just in time for when my next bit of pig is ready for slicing on Saturday.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272387626815

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The white stuff is nitrate. It 'cures' bacon a lot quicker than the traditional method. Disgusting to look at when it's floating in the frying pan though.

When I was a nipper there was a fantastic butcher at the end of our road. He did his own curing. His bacon and everything else was superb (black pudding so good I've never had better since). Saturday mornings the queue was out the shop and round the corner.

He had two sons: one emigrated to Australia; the other was a vegetarian.

RIP owd Mr. Goodall.

Sponsored Links
For each 1kg of pork loin I use 50g of organic bacon cure which I get from www.tongmaster.co.uk. The one in the picture was just standard cure but the one that is curing righ now is the sweetcure one.

Back