Bad Rot On Window Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I wonder if anyone could advise me re a bad case of wood rot on a window frame in my house. I attach a photo of the affected area, which I have started to scrape away to see how extensive the damage is. Apart from this area the window frame appears to be otherwise intact - I have went around and tested it with a bradawl. All the other windows in my house seem to be quite intact, and I have painted them recently, and I want to defer getting new windows installed for maybe a year or two yet. In any event I wouldn’t want to just replace one window on its own, but rather wait and get the whole lot done all at once, to get the best deal.

I’m wondering what I could do with this case of rot to keep the window going for another year or two. It looks pretty bad, but as the rest of the frame is intact away from this region I’m hoping there’s something that could be done.

The hole in the middle of it pokes right through to the glass. But it is solid wood all around the bad area.

I don’t know if a tradesman could help here - I only have basic DIY knowledge - maybe a joiner could do something ? Or could I just use some kind of filler for this ?

If anybody could give advice I’d be grateful. I want to get this fixed before any more of the heavy rain.

Cheers,
Ross

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry too much, mine were a lot worse than that.
You could apply some preservative, wood hardener and high performance filler to fix it. Mine are sstill going strong 8 years on.

Most of the rot there is on the beads surely, or am i seeing things? Just prize them off and replace, that just leaves a tiny repair to the actual frame.

Hi, thanks for replies.

I think it might be a good option to replace the 'beading'. I am not familiar with this term, but I assume its the sections of wood that go immediately around the glass.

I don't know if its easy to do this yourself, or better to get a joiner to do it.

In any event where could I get the replacement beads ?

And I presume I would have to apply sealant of some kind between the beads and the glass ?

Sponsored Links
Paying a "joiner" to do the job will probably cost best part of what a new window costs. If you are seriously going to be replacing within the next two years I would just chisel out the worst of it, maybe replace the beading and slap some pain on it to protect it.

Thanks for reply. I would get the joiner to replace the beading, as I don't know how to do that, or even where I would get the right size piece of wood, but I could apply the wood hardener and filler myself as that seems straightforward. And I've no problem about painting it myself.

Or could I not bother about replacing beading and just use wood filler to fill it all in ?

Or could I not bother about replacing beading and just use wood filler to fill it all in ?
Only for a short term, long term you won't get away with it ;)
The wood need to be dry when repairing

Just cut a section out of the undamaged piece and nip off to B&Q or such like and match up with something similar, doubt you'll find something thats an exact match but it matters not as its only a tempory repair after all, just replace the bottom and the side or all 4 sides then it doesn't matter what type or size of bead you get, then after cutting to size nail them in then seal around against the glass with clear silicone, a very crude repair i know but it'll last till you get round to changing them and is the cheapest solution unless you don't do them at all which is cheaper still ;)

Thank you for all replies. I have got a joiner who is going to replace two of the beads for £40, and I will apply hardener and filler to the rest, which should keep it going for a while yet hopefully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back